Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Missing "Response" & "Outcome" of Start an approval in Flow PowerApps

Hi PowerApps Users,

I am trying to use Microsoft flow via a button in PowerApps to update an item in SharePoint using Approvals. I have gotten through the bulk of it but I am stuck at trying to update the actual item via Flow. Did some research and I am to look for either "Response" equal to Approve or "Outcome" equal to Approve. I am however unable to find both the Response and Approve function in the Condition of Flow. 

If anyone can help me out I would really appreciate it! its my last step to completing my PowerApps project.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Re: Missing "Response" & "Outcome" of Start an approval in Flow PowerApps

You either need to replace your Create an Approval action with a Create and Wait for an Approval or add a Wait for an Approval action.  The Create an Approval is the Asynchronous version so you need the Wait for an Approval to finish it.  The Create and Wait for an Approval action is the Synchronous version so it has everything you need.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

You either need to replace your Create an Approval action with a Create and Wait for an Approval or add a Wait for an Approval action.  The Create an Approval is the Asynchronous version so you need the Wait for an Approval to finish it.  The Create and Wait for an Approval action is the Synchronous version so it has everything you need.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @Pstork1 

I am still unable to select response nor outcome despite changing it to start and wait for approval13.JPG

Even with "Wait for Approval", there is still no such options to choose from. Also, as for the "Approval ID", which field should I be using? Can I use a unique column such as "Title"?

15.JPG

Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Let me provide a bit more information.  Originally your problem was that with only a Create you would never get a response to reply to.  Now that you've switched to Create and Wait you can see that you get Responses.  So here is the difference between Outcome and Response.  Responses is a collection of individual Response objects.  So you can see that once you load Responses into an Apply to Each loop you have access to the individual properties of each Response in the collection.  For the response itself you want the Responses Approver Response.  See the screenshot below.

screenshot.png

Outcome is a singular property that summarizes all the responses you get.  So if the Approval is set to First to Approve then Outcome will be either Approve or Reject.  if the approval is set to All must approve then it will be a string like "Approve Reject Approve" (if you have three approvers and one rejects.) But that will be outside the loop and independent from Responses.  See the screenshot.

screenshot.png

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @Pstork1 

You have been such a great help! Thank you so much.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,646)