Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Model Driven Apps - Use Cases

HI All,

I'm wondering, for those of you not using Dynamics in your business, what are some examples/use cases of Model Driven Apps that you've developed?

Additionally with the flexibility of the PCF, do you see Model Driven Apps replacing apps you originally designed as a canvas app?

Thanks

Sam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: Model Driven Apps - Use Cases

Frequently you don’t need to connect it in to your canvas app because these are used by different roles and for different purposes. Think of a sales person vs a sales manager. Sales person needs to see customer information and create or update opportunities, vs a sales manager needs to manage a team of 15 people. Salesperson uses canvas, sales manager uses mode driven.

Look at it this way—if someone say “I need to do __________” then a canvas app usually works. If they say “I need to manage my _____________ process,” they probably need a model driven app.

another area that is much easier with mode driven is data validation—since it has tools like advanced find and more data dense views, if I have a canvas app that has either a migration or integration from another system, without a model driven app it is extremely difficult to validate the data and relationships are being created correctly.

Take a look at Microsoft’s hospital emergency response solution. https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/emergency-response-solution-a-microsoft-power-platform-so...
it is a great illustration of this—for the frontline worker at a single hospital who is counting the beds, discharges, patients, and ppe a canvas app is an awesome solution, but for the person at corporate who is creating new facilities and managing the entire process, including moving equipment between facilities, the more data dense interface for model driven apps is the better experience 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Almost every canvas app I have built has a model driven counterpart. You need the admin cockpit in which to create the data, manage the app settings, and oversee the overall process

Highlighted
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

@jlindstrom Thanks Joel, thanks a great point. I normally just build my admin screens into the canvas app but doing that part as a model driven sounds much better. How do you then connect it into your canvas app? Do you create a button which admins can use to launch the model driven app or they just have separate access and know where to go?

I think part of the reason I got used to building admin screens as part of the canvas app was from building apps that aren't based on CDS then just carried on doing it that way.

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Frequently you don’t need to connect it in to your canvas app because these are used by different roles and for different purposes. Think of a sales person vs a sales manager. Sales person needs to see customer information and create or update opportunities, vs a sales manager needs to manage a team of 15 people. Salesperson uses canvas, sales manager uses mode driven.

Look at it this way—if someone say “I need to do __________” then a canvas app usually works. If they say “I need to manage my _____________ process,” they probably need a model driven app.

another area that is much easier with mode driven is data validation—since it has tools like advanced find and more data dense views, if I have a canvas app that has either a migration or integration from another system, without a model driven app it is extremely difficult to validate the data and relationships are being created correctly.

Take a look at Microsoft’s hospital emergency response solution. https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/emergency-response-solution-a-microsoft-power-platform-so...
it is a great illustration of this—for the frontline worker at a single hospital who is counting the beds, discharges, patients, and ppe a canvas app is an awesome solution, but for the person at corporate who is creating new facilities and managing the entire process, including moving equipment between facilities, the more data dense interface for model driven apps is the better experience 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

@SamPo 

I have found that when you have one database but the users have different requirements based on divisions or departments or the specialized nature of their jobs, the model driven interface much easier to use to create specialized forms and views that pertain to the different requirements.  MDAs and Canvas apps are not mutually exclusive in that the developer has the ability to create a "hybrid" interface of a canvas app within a MDA.

Highlighted
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Thank you both, this has been extremely useful. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Check this Out

Announcing

Class of 2020- Season 2

Check this Out

Helpful information

Featuring samples like Return to the Workplace and Emergency Response Applications

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're excited to announce our first cross-community 'Can You Solve These?' challenge!

secondImage

Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (8,142)