cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resolver I
Resolver I

Model-driven app translations not showing for French (Canada) / Quebec

Hello!

Our organization is based in Quebec, so making apps available in French is a must. I designed a model-driven app for a business-critical application. The base language for our environment is English (United States), ID 1033. French (France), ID 1036, is also enabled in our environment. Through the Solution, I exported all the English strings and translated them to French. Imported the translations successfully back into Powerapps.

Problem is, the translated strings aren't showing up when the user uses the app. Oddly, all the "system" strings are shown in French (such as Home / Acceuil), but none of the "custom strings" that I translated are showing up. Re-exported all the translations and, sure enough, they are loaded. 

I think the problem may be that my users aren't using French (France), ID 1036, but rather French (Canada), ID 3084 as their system language. However, I can't enable French (Canada), ID 3084, in the Admin Center. Only 1036 is available (see screenshot below).

Providing employees in Quebec with French-language tools is not only a nice-to-have, it is a legal obligation. Plus, I spent quite a bit of time translating 2300+ strings... couldn't wait to get back to coding after that was done! 😉

Any idea how I can get my translations to show in my model-driven app? 

CharlesS_0-1610504828040.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Good news! I was finally able to fix this problem. Turns out it is not a language issue, but a security role issue. 

Here is the problem and how I resolved it:

• I had set up my security roles from blank, denying all permissions by default and only granting what I thought were the minimum necessary permissions to execute the task at hand.
  • I could not find any precise definition of the meaning of each permission. It turns out that one of the cryptic permissions was associated to the ability to view help panes in local languages. I did not have the time to  test every single permission to find out which one was responsible for this issue.
  • So I created a new security role, based on the Basic User role. I removed a few privileges (which are unacceptable for my organization, such as the ability to export to Excel) and added the required privileges for my custom entities...

And Voilà! Help panes now show in the user's language!

Moral of the story: don't create security roles from scratch. Use the most restrictive standard security role as your baseline template and build from there.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @CharlesS :

I think this should have nothing to do with system language. As long as you configure the translation file (ID 1036) correctly, it can take effect (I've made a test and it worked well).

In addition, to enable this feature, users need to make personal settings:

1\Open this Moden Driven app

2\Select Personalalization Settings

3\Set User Interface Language

1.JPG2.JPG

Best Regards,

Bof

Thanks for your reply @v-bofeng-msft !

We checked the user's personal options: the settings seem to be correct.

CharlesS_0-1610637702127.png

Perhaps my translation file is not setup correctly? I was able to successfully import the translation XML file, which has three tabs:

1. Information : No changes made here. Base language is English (United States) 1033.

2. Display string: This tab is completely empty.

3. Localized Labels: All my original 1033 strings are in the first column and all my French translations are in the 1036 column, as such:

CharlesS_1-1610637962092.png

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Hi @CharlesS :

Your operation does not seem to have any problems, I also tested it like this. But I did not have the problem you mentioned.

Maybe you could check the translation file again and try to import it again.

If this problem cannot be solved,I suggest you create a support ticket.

Best Regards,

Bof

Good news! I was finally able to fix this problem. Turns out it is not a language issue, but a security role issue. 

Here is the problem and how I resolved it:

• I had set up my security roles from blank, denying all permissions by default and only granting what I thought were the minimum necessary permissions to execute the task at hand.
  • I could not find any precise definition of the meaning of each permission. It turns out that one of the cryptic permissions was associated to the ability to view help panes in local languages. I did not have the time to  test every single permission to find out which one was responsible for this issue.
  • So I created a new security role, based on the Basic User role. I removed a few privileges (which are unacceptable for my organization, such as the ability to export to Excel) and added the required privileges for my custom entities...

And Voilà! Help panes now show in the user's language!

Moral of the story: don't create security roles from scratch. Use the most restrictive standard security role as your baseline template and build from there.

View solution in original post

Community Support
Community Support

Hi @CharlesS :

Glad to learn that you solved this problem, and thank you very much for sharing the solution.

Best Regards,

Bof

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Badges

New Solution Badges!

Check out our new profile badges recognizing authored solutions!

New Power Super Users

Congratulations!

We are excited to announce the Power Apps Super Users!

Power Apps Community Call

Power Apps Community Call: February

Did you miss the call? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here.

Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (12,269)