cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Model-driven separate create and edit forms?

I'm trying to create a model-driven app. I have defined a main form to create my entity and a main form to edit my entity. How can I configure my app to use the create form when creating the entity and my edit form when selecting it from a view? Is that even possible? If not, is it possible in a canvas app?

Thanks,

Bill

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: Model-driven separate create and edit forms?

Hi @MrBildo 

In a Model Driven App, the same form is used to create a new item and to edit an existing item.  An edit form is opened from a view when the item to be edited is selected and the same form is opened when the New option is selected but all the fields are blank.MDA Edit.pngmda New.png

If you are already in an Edit form being edited, you can select New and it will open the same form with all the fields empty so you can add the new data.MDA Edit formEdit.pngMDA Edit formNew.png

Likewise, in canvas apps, there is no need to have separate forms for data entry and data editing (modification).  The same form is used and the mode of the form is set by a command preceding making the form visible by using NewForm(Form1) or EditForm(Form1).  

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Hi @MrBildo 

In a Model Driven App, the same form is used to create a new item and to edit an existing item.  An edit form is opened from a view when the item to be edited is selected and the same form is opened when the New option is selected but all the fields are blank.MDA Edit.pngmda New.png

If you are already in an Edit form being edited, you can select New and it will open the same form with all the fields empty so you can add the new data.MDA Edit formEdit.pngMDA Edit formNew.png

Likewise, in canvas apps, there is no need to have separate forms for data entry and data editing (modification).  The same form is used and the mode of the form is set by a command preceding making the form visible by using NewForm(Form1) or EditForm(Form1).  

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Thank you, @Drrickryp, for the detailed reply. This is exactly the info I was looking for.

--Bill

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

New Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power Apps features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Check this Out

Helpful information

Featuring samples like Return to the Workplace and Emergency Response Applications

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (10,552)