cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JonathanGibbs
Resolver I
Resolver I

Moving from OnPrem SQLServer to Azure SQLServer

My PowerApps applications mostly connect to OnPrem SQLServer databases held on a VM in Azure, via a gateway on the same VM. I'm looking into moving everything to SQL Azure instead, which might give some performance improvements for PowerApps.

Aside from the 'lift and shift' issues of moving from OnPrem SQLServer to Azure SQLServer, my biggest concern is reconnecting everything in PowerApps (and PowerBI for that matter). Assuming the Azure version is a perfect copy of the OnPrem, is it just a case of editing the PowerApps SQL Server Connections to the various databases (easy)? Or would I have to re-create every individual DataSource in every individual app (a LOT of tables, views, stored procedures accessed through PowerAutomate flows across about 20 apps - huge job)?

Perhaps Refresh would work for tables and views, but stored procedures could mean rebuilding flows and then reconnecting flows in apps....?

Any advice/experience welcome.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Since you will be moving from a connection using a gateway to one that doesn't use a gateway I don't think you'll be able to just edit the connections.  But you should probably try that first.  After editing you'll need to refresh the connections.  If that doesn't work you'll need to create new ones and then replace the on-premises ones with the new connections.  Its doable, but it will be a lot of manual work.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Since you will be moving from a connection using a gateway to one that doesn't use a gateway I don't think you'll be able to just edit the connections.  But you should probably try that first.  After editing you'll need to refresh the connections.  If that doesn't work you'll need to create new ones and then replace the on-premises ones with the new connections.  Its doable, but it will be a lot of manual work.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Ouch. That's what I feared. And not really on when everything is live! I think that idea might have to sink without trace..

Thanks @Pstork1 

Helpful resources

Announcements
2022 Release Wave 1 760x460.png

2022 Release Wave 1 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2022 release wave 1 describes all new features releasing from April 2022 through September 2022.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,432)