cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Moving from Workflows to Power apps and flows

I couldn't get the Flow to work, because of the problem with reading lookup columns. So I've come to Power App forms.

We have been using Power apps extensively as an input medium to SP for a year or more now. However our previous knowledge has not helped in the conversion.

I am working on a record library and need to record metadata when a new file is uploaded. The files are incoming invoices, which are then sent for authorizing to the correct manager and then once authorized onto accounts for entering and paying.

The correct manager is dependent on the supplier, which is a separate SP list. The manager is informed of the need to authorize by email.

So I have a new form in power apps studio with the two data connections, one to the drop off library the other to the supplier data.

I have tried both with Dropbox and combo box. I am using suppliers. supplier_name to populate both drop and combo.

How then do I onselect transfer the supplier and manager fields to the newform so that they are saved on completion.

I have tried all the options that have worked in the past, but I get the invalid argument error.
 this is probably too simple for this forum, but we are highly frustrated and the impending end to workflows makes getting this working critical

Thanks in advance

PS the original workflow did the lookup with the user just selecting the supplier.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Hi @Jordi_J 

Nothing is "too simple for this forum", so don't worry about it. We love to help beginners!

I'm not quite sure what you'd like to achieve, so here is what I understood:

• You have a SharePoint library where people upload documents
  • You need to assign metadata to those documents
  • Which owner has to be assigned is defined in another list (suppliers)

All you want to do now is add a supplier dropdown menu and based on that it should automatically assign the owner, is that correct?

If so, try the following:

1. Make sure you have a column for the manager in your dropoff library. If you want to have a supplier column, you can add this as well - the supplier column can be a text field for now
  2. In your SharePoint Form in Powerapps, add the created field(s)/columns. If you didn't add the supplier column, just insert a Combobox in PowerApps for that. Let's call it cmbSuppliersIf you added a supplier column, delete the text field and add said Combobox instead. Resolve all the errors that are popping up by replacing the old text field with the newly created Combobox
  3. In the suppliers Combobox.Items property, type in suppliers (assuming the name of your suppliers SharePoint list is suppliers)
  4. Still with the dropdown selected, on the right pane, click on Edit next to Fields. Select the layout and add the primary text to be displayed. E.g. Title
    This should already give you a functioning dropdown. To automatically select the right owner based on this selection, go on
  5. In the manager's Combobox.DefaultSelectedItems property, add the following:

{
        DisplayName: cmbSuppliers.Selected.manager.DisplayName,
        Claims:"i:0#.f|membership|" & cmbSuppliers.Selected.manager.Email, 
        Department:"", 
        Email: cmbSuppliers.Selected.manager.Email,
        JobTitle:"", 
        Picture:""
    }​

This should get you quite far. Every time you select a supplier, it will now automatically populate the manager's Combobox.

I hope this helps and also that I understood your question correctly. Otherwise, just let me know.

Please click Accept as Solution if my post answered your question. Like my answer? Consider giving it a Thumbs Up. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

Please click Accept as Solution if my post answered your question. Like my answer? Consider giving it a Thumbs Up. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Highlighted

I have two errors

the colon after DisplayName is not accepted only "="

and after selected. only the lookup (title) column/field is accepted.

Although I know all the columns are loaded, from previous work on this

Highlighted

Based on your errors, I think you didn't quite follow the instructions to the point. Maybe try again? This should definitely work.

If you still get errors, make sure that your managers column in SharePoint is of type person. Following an example on how your SharePoint lists should look like.

Your suppliers list should look something like this:

Titlemanager (type: "person")
McDonaldsJoan of Arc
Burger KingDonald Duck

and your dropoff library something like this:

Titlesupplier (type: "Single line of text")manager (type: "person")
Big MacMcDonaldsJoan of Arc
WhopperBurger KingDonald Duck

Highlighted

Thanks,

I'll setup a new sharepoint list and experiment so as notto disturb the normal working of the main site.

The pressure is off since I discovered it is only 2010 workflows that are being deprecated.

Jordi

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

News & Announcements

Community Blog

Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Community Highlights

Community Highlights

Check out the Power Platform Community Highlights

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (9,925)