cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
danbayes

Moving from manual Word & Excel query system to PowerApp

Hi everyone. I hope you're well and staying safe. 

Brand new user to PowerApps here.

I currently administer a system where various people submit a technical query form (word doc) to me, then I log it in an excel spreadsheet and forward to supervisors who then forward it to engineers.

The TQ forms are allocated to a particular project, and are given a unique number. They are required to be printed at the end of a project, and also sometimes include images / tables / PDF's, etc. The supervisors and engineers also vary from project to project.

I'm looking to design a system accessible to everyone, (they all have M365 accounts) where the generated queries get sent directly to the engineers. I also need some kind of notification which informs relevant people when new TQ's are submitted and when they're answered.

Using PowerApps, should this be a relatively simple project or would this type of system take some serious effort to create?

Thanks for your assistance. Best Wishes, Dan.

3 REPLIES 3
logixcrm
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @danbayes 

Your query seems to be about a complete solution, so I am going to offer some design advise.

Your first query reads as follows

"I currently administer a system where various people submit a technical query form (word doc) to me, then I log it in an excel spreadsheet and forward to supervisors who then forward it to engineers."

Just an idea, you may want to consider Microsoft Forms or Dynamics 365 Customer Voice as a solution to capture responses. This way you are able to write the response directly to an excel file stored in your OneDrive using Power Automate. Then in the Flow you will be able to send out the notification emails automatically. This will drastically reduce your manual overhead.

Here are some links to the solutions I have mentioned.

Dynamics 365 Customer Voice 

Microsoft Forms

NB since all your users have Office 365, you may already have access to MS Forms.

Finally, once you have built the solution you can just send out the link to the form that people can save to use later.

If you would like any further design ideas, let me know.

Cheers 😎

danbayes

Hey there. I do have access to Forms, however it looks like I dont have access to Dynamics 365 Customer Voice. I know I have PowerApps, PowerAutomate and Forms, is there a solution using these products?

Also, just to clarify, in my description of our current system above, I should have mentioned that its the engineers that answer these technical queries.

Thanks, Dan.

logixcrm
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @danbayes 

Ok so here is an idea...

Replicate the form in Microsoft Forms, then create a folder in your OneDrive, in the folder create a file to record your responses.

For the response file make sure you format the the columns as a table, set the column headings to the questions. Finally make sure your dataset is in a table format. Once you are done, save and close the file.

Next, head over to Power Automate, Create new Flow with a Forms Trigger (When a new response is submitted). I would add the following sequence in your Flow

• Start when a new form response is submitted
  • Get response from form
  • Add row into the Excel File (Use the OneDrive Connector)
  • Send email
    • Send email confirmation to engineeer
    • CC anyone else you would like to add
  • Terminate (Success)

For your connectors in Flow, add OneDrive and Outlook.

I hope this makes sense, if not let me know and I will create a quick demo video.

Cheers,

Byron

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,593)