cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pegger
Helper I
Helper I

Multi-Choice SharePoint List Integration

I have read many postings about this topic, but I am still struggling to figure out which options are viable for my use case.

I have a multi-choice SharePoint field that I need to allow an end user in PowerApps to edit.  I need to use a listbox, combobox, or checkbox solution to meet these requirements...

1) Pulls the Choice Options from the SharePoint list column

2) Pulls the Default selected items from the SharePoint list column (using a lookup for the specific record based on country)

3) Pushes any changes to the SharePoint list column (but it needs to do this OnSelect or OnChange, not using a button in terms of submitting a form)

4) Displays the Default selected items from the SharePoint list column (but it needs to display the actual selections on screen and not "3 items" like a ComboBox does by default)

I am not sure which option can meet all 4 of these criteria nor which the easiest solution would be.  I appreciate any guidance from the experts!  Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
FabianAckeret
Super User
Super User

Hi @Pegger 

• Comboboxes would fulfill almost all your needs, except Point 4) is automatically applied, based on the size of the Combobox and the number of selections. At some point, it just has the value and convert it into something like "3 items".
  • Listboxes do not allow default selected items.
  • Checkboxes expect Text and not records, meaning it's not dynamic and an element for each option would need to pre-exist. Not ideal...

So the only option really is to build something on your own. You can do that by using a gallery.

Do you want to have a separate dropdown (besides your gallery) in which you could select your record and based on that, it would filter the choice-selection?

Or, if you just want to have one gallery and with a click on those choices you either select/deselect them, it would be a (tiny) bit more complicated. Basically, you'd need to check each option whether it is found in your "country LookUp" you mentioned and if so, apply a different style. Every time a button in that gallery is being clicked, you'd need to go ahead and set the OnSelect property to update your SharePoint list. 

I hope this points you in the right direction.

Please click Accept as Solution if my post answered your question. Like my answer? Consider giving it a Thumbs Up. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
FabianAckeret
Super User
Super User

Hi @Pegger 

• Comboboxes would fulfill almost all your needs, except Point 4) is automatically applied, based on the size of the Combobox and the number of selections. At some point, it just has the value and convert it into something like "3 items".
  • Listboxes do not allow default selected items.
  • Checkboxes expect Text and not records, meaning it's not dynamic and an element for each option would need to pre-exist. Not ideal...

So the only option really is to build something on your own. You can do that by using a gallery.

Do you want to have a separate dropdown (besides your gallery) in which you could select your record and based on that, it would filter the choice-selection?

Or, if you just want to have one gallery and with a click on those choices you either select/deselect them, it would be a (tiny) bit more complicated. Basically, you'd need to check each option whether it is found in your "country LookUp" you mentioned and if so, apply a different style. Every time a button in that gallery is being clicked, you'd need to go ahead and set the OnSelect property to update your SharePoint list. 

I hope this points you in the right direction.

Please click Accept as Solution if my post answered your question. Like my answer? Consider giving it a Thumbs Up. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

View solution in original post

Thanks so much for your insight.  I was worried that would be the situation.

For the gallery option, I need to research how to do that as I have not done it before.  Though I did not think that the gallery control allowed for multiple selections.

If I wanted to use the combobox, I assume that I cannot change the "3 items" issue in the configuration of that control (I'm sure you would have mentioned it).  Maybe I can work around it by having a label next to it that displays the actual text of all selected items.  Something like this would probably be the most straightforward anyway, even if not elegant.

Pegger
Helper I
Helper I

Update: The combo box plus a referenced label below it satisfied the need for now.  Thanks again!  I tried to accept your solution, but I am getting an authentication error.  Will try again later.

Good that you figured that out on your own. If this is enough, it certainly is the easiest solution 🙂 I should have mentioned that as well.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

R2 (Green) 768 x 460px.png

Microsoft Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Professionals

DynamicsCon is a FREE, 4 half-day virtual learning experience for 11,000+ Microsoft Business Application users and professionals.

Users online (2,972)