Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NaCarns
Helper I
Helper I

Multi-Choice columns not displaying properly

Hi all.

So I'm using Dynamics 365 as a data source, and have imported a few tables (entities) and want to build dashboards from them. One of the tables has a column with multi-choice data type (around 7 choices). When I try to use that column in Power BI, the choices are displayed as text of seven or eight digit numbers instead of the actual choices. Can that be changed? Or do I have to use text type for the column? 

And is there a way to create a column (called department for example) in a table/entity such that when a user belonging to a business unit (BU1) creates a record in that table (which exists in a model-driven app), the column is automatically populated with his BU so BU1? And so on for when other users from other BUs create their records. 

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
dos757
Resolver I
Resolver I

For multi choices in Power BI. On your report, when you are loading the table. You have to transform data. Click edit at bottom of the page. In the edit mode, go to the top of the concerned column and click extract value. It'll transform digit value in the text one.

For the second need can you explain with an example? 

If you're speaking about getting the BU of the owner. There's a field in dynamics 365 model driven named owning business unit. It's a lookup record that give you the BU of the owner of this record. 

Thank you for replying. 

For the second question, imagine we have this table: 

IDDepartmentName
001BU1John
002BU2Jack
003BU3Lia

I want it that when each user inputs their Name (i.e., adds a record to the table), Department gets automatically populated with the business unit they are associated with. So John who belongs to BU1, fills his name in the Name column, then the Department gets autofilled with BU1. Sort of like the behavior of Created By, Created On, etc. columns in tables; they automatically reference who put the record and at what time. Note that the Department column doesn't necessarily need to be visible before creating the record; it can appear, populated with the user's corresponding BU, after the record has been created. Either way is fine. 

Hope I cleared it. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Microsoft Ignite 768x460.png

Find your focus

Explore the latest tools,training sessions,technical expertise, networking and more.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Users online (1,488)