cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
azeesdinu43
Helper II
Helper II

Multi Select People Column - On Visible

I have Multi Select People column in PowerApps form. This People column is not editable by users.  I wanted to set current logged in user claims when screen is loading (OnVisible) itself. No need set if that current user already in that column. Kindly let me know how to set the current user in Multi select people column. 

Person A,

Person B,

Person C

If my column already loads with Person A and Person B come and open the PowerApps form, I have show like

People Column : Person A ; Person B

If Person C comes then  Person A, Person B, Person C

4 REPLIES 4
MatthewInwards
Resolver II
Resolver II

Im not sure if this is what you are asking, but if you are trying to set a default on a person column then you would go about it with the following code.

{
  '@odata.type':"#Microsoft.Azure.Connectors.SharePoint.SPListExpandedUser",
   Claims:Concatenate("i:0#.f|membership|",User().Email),
   DisplayName:First(Office365Users.SearchUser({searchTerm:User().Email})).DisplayName,
   Email:User().Email
}
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@azeesdinu43 

If I am understanding you, you want to "grow" a multi-person column with new names as those new names access the screen in your app.

To do this, you need to check the current list and then append it with the current user if the user does not exist, but you must also put the original list of people back into the same column or they will all be replaced.

This can be done, but you have to convert the User() function results into a SharePoint user record (which @MatthewInwards has provided - @odata.type columns have not been needed for over a year now, so that is not used) and then you need to merge the existing table of people with the new record.

What you did not mention was any particular record in your list.  You only mentioned a column, so I am not sure what record in your list you want to update.  So for the purposes of this response, I will hard code an ID for a record.  You will need to replace that logic with whatever you need to get the appropriate record.

So, here is the relatively generic formula for doing this:

With({_user: User(),
      _peopleTable: LookUp(yourDataSource, ID=1, MultiPersonColumnName) },

If(!(_user.Email in _peopleTable.Email),
        With({_SPuser:
            { 
                Claims:"i:0#.f|membership|" & Lower(_user.Email), 
                Department:"", 
                DisplayName: _user.DisplayName, 
                Email: _user.Email, 
                JobTitle: "", 
                Picture: ""
            }
        },

With({_newList: 
                Ungroup(
                    Table(
                        {Items: Table(_SPuser)},
                        {Items: _peopleTable}
                    ),
                    "Items"
                )
            },
            UpdateIf(yourDataSource, ID=1, {MultiPersonColumnName: _newList})
            )
        )
    )
)

For the most part, you'll just need to adjust the _peopleTable definition and the UpdateIf statement for your needs.  All the rest needs no adjustment.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

Thank you for your reply. I just wanted to append the current user in Multi selection people column. 

No need to Patching and update the record, since I have submit button to Submit the Form. 

So, I just wanted to append the current users who is submitting the form. No need to add the current user If that person already there in the People column. I mean he would have already submitted the form before. 

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@azeesdinu43 

Yes, this is the formula I provided you.  The form will not automatically do this for you.  However, if you want to incorporate this into your form, then you will need to look at your Update property for the datacard that contains this column.

If you are NOT exposing a multi-select combobox and simply want to do this behind the scenes, then the formula would be:

With({_user: User(),
      _peopleTable: ThisItem.MultiPersonColumnName },

If(!(_user.Email in _peopleTable.Email),
        With({_SPuser:
            { 
                Claims:"i:0#.f|membership|" & Lower(_user.Email), 
                Department:"", 
                DisplayName: _user.DisplayName, 
                Email: _user.Email, 
                JobTitle: "", 
                Picture: ""
            }
        },

Ungroup(
            Table(
                {Items: Table(_SPuser)},
                {Items: _peopleTable}
            ),
            "Items"
        )
    )
)

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,102)