cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi-user PoweApps with shared data source

Hello everyone,

Currently I have this Excel document that has several tables that contain calculated fields and VBA macros. This file is shared on One Drive/Share point and at times, if multiple people edit it at the same time, this results in conflict errors when the macros are triggered.

My goal is to re-create the logic of this Excel file and have the data accessible to multiple users at the same time while providing also nicer user interface, using PowerApps. How is this possible and what combination of Microsoft tools should I consider for fast and reliable, multi-user supported solution, compatible with PowerApps- Common Data Service, PowerQuery, Azure Table Service, SQL Server, etc.?

Any ideas?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @ralina ,

Firstly, it depends on whether you want to use (and only pay for) the standard E3 licence, in which case SharePoint does the job generally adequately. We run a substantial operation solely on this platform.

If you want to pay for per-user licences (and get premium connectors), then Azure SQL is probably the best option.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

Super User
Super User

@ralina 

This question really depends on the complexity of your Excel file.

For example, if your VBA is reshaping your data, building reports, building printable docs, etc then PowerApps + SharePoint (as @WarrenBelz points out) will be able to do most of those things for you but you may also need to leverage other solutions as well eg Power BI for reports, Power Automate + a Premium Word connector to build docs (as one option), etc.

I currently have a couple of key shared Excel files that leverage PowerQuery for data shaping. Most of this data shaping couldn't be handled by PowerApps + SharePoint - PowerApps functions just don't have the same power (pun intended 🙂 ) as PowerQuery ... so I use Power BI for reporting to management. This comes with it's own set of challenges though, which I'm working through now.

If you decide to use one of CDS/SQL/Azure then your use costs increase again but these do offer database functionality, which maybe what you need for your solution.

There's no magic bullet here and the final solution will probably come down to cost once you lay out all the options you need.

3 REPLIES 3
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @ralina ,

Firstly, it depends on whether you want to use (and only pay for) the standard E3 licence, in which case SharePoint does the job generally adequately. We run a substantial operation solely on this platform.

If you want to pay for per-user licences (and get premium connectors), then Azure SQL is probably the best option.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Super User
Super User

@ralina 

This question really depends on the complexity of your Excel file.

For example, if your VBA is reshaping your data, building reports, building printable docs, etc then PowerApps + SharePoint (as @WarrenBelz points out) will be able to do most of those things for you but you may also need to leverage other solutions as well eg Power BI for reports, Power Automate + a Premium Word connector to build docs (as one option), etc.

I currently have a couple of key shared Excel files that leverage PowerQuery for data shaping. Most of this data shaping couldn't be handled by PowerApps + SharePoint - PowerApps functions just don't have the same power (pun intended 🙂 ) as PowerQuery ... so I use Power BI for reporting to management. This comes with it's own set of challenges though, which I'm working through now.

If you decide to use one of CDS/SQL/Azure then your use costs increase again but these do offer database functionality, which maybe what you need for your solution.

There's no magic bullet here and the final solution will probably come down to cost once you lay out all the options you need.

Great explanation! Thank you! 

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power Apps features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Apps Community Call

Power Apps Community Call: February

Did you miss the call? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here.

New Power Super Users

Congratulations!

We are excited to announce the Power Apps Super Users!

New Badges

New Solution Badges!

Check out our new profile badges recognizing authored solutions!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (9,365)