cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JayRussell
Frequent Visitor

Multiple timestamps per record

Hi all.

My fire register / In-Out tracker is coming along nicely.  The next goal is to be able to track time in and out.

I can patch a time stamp to a record but what I'd like id to is every time the person scans a new timestamp is recorded -not overwriting the existing data.

ScancountStatusTimestamp
1inTS1
2outTS2
3inTS3
4outTS4

So, in terms of logic, I want:

If TS1=blank Update TS1, If TS1<>Blank, Update TS2 (unless TS2 is not blank)

OR

(There is a counter field, which tracks the number of scans)

If scancounter=0 then update TS1, if counter=1 update TS2 (etc)

Is this do-able via a patch command?

(I've had some excellent help from this forum so far, when i've finished I'll share the app. A week ago I knew nothing about PowerApps!)

Jay

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

that's it @JayRussell 

This design is much more scalable, and also designs it in a way that could be moved to a relational database later if it grows beyond the capabilities of SharePoint lists.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jlindstrom
Super User
Super User

I would put the scans in a separate entity/list. relate it to the parent record with a lookup field.

So every time someone scans, patch a timestamp record.

This will give you a nice 1:N timestamp history, and you can easily do a count of the timestamp records related to the parent record and can see number of scans in a date range, etc.

This also gives you the option to archive scan records, and see who is doing what scans. A lot more detail than what you can get with just a counter field on the main record.

Thanks, @jlindstrom 

If I understand correctly, I'd have a second sharepoint list which just recorded Name (thats the scanned data) and the time of the record. So an individual would create multiple entries:

NameTimestamp(Meaning)
Fred9amEntry 1
Bob9.05amEntry 1
Fred12pmExit 1 (lunch)
Fred12.30pmEntry 2 (lunch return)

I could pull from this a count -which would determine in/out status. And using max/min type calculations determine Time in and out (start/end of day etc)

that's it @JayRussell 

This design is much more scalable, and also designs it in a way that could be moved to a relational database later if it grows beyond the capabilities of SharePoint lists.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

Power Apps Community Call

Monthly Power Apps Community Call

Did you miss the call?? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here!

secondImage

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV STudio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage applications post-AppSource publish.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (90,343)