cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
niteesha
Microsoft
Microsoft

NVDA in powerapps

Our requirement is to make our Application accessible by all the people (blind, vision impairments etc). We used NVDA to test the scenarios. But some NVDA shortcut keys are not working in PowerApps according to our observation. The steps we followed to test and the keys which we are unable to achieve are:

1. open NVDA.

2. Open the PowerApps application.

3. Press the shortcut keys 'T' or 'B' or 'H' or 'Down Arrow'.

when 'T' is pressed the NVDA should narrate the tables which are present in the PowerApps screen. We have used gallery and it is not narrating it instead it is narrating as "No Next Table". Is there any other shortcut key to read gallery or by default this shortcut key will not work in PowerApps?

when 'B' is pressed it should narrate the Buttons present in the screen. It is narrating as "No Next Button".

In the same way 'H' is for heading.

Can any one help me achieving this feature for accessibility standards?

Also when enabling "Text Spacing" from the Accessibility Insights extension, the application is adapting to the text spacing standards. Do we need to do any changes to the PowerApps properties to make it adaptable?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
tahoon
Power Apps
Power Apps

Hi @niteesha, the first problem of shortcut keys not working for screen readers is a known issue. This is caused by having role="application" on the <body> element. We are looking to address it.

It is not possible to configure text spacing in Power Apps. You could of course use a browser extension or user stylesheets to apply text spacing to any web page, including Power Apps. However, this might lead to text clipping if the size of the control is too small. Ensure that there is sufficient space for text to display with word spacing 0.16 times than normal. Detailed guidelines here https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/text-spacing.html

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
tahoon
Power Apps
Power Apps

Hi @niteesha, the first problem of shortcut keys not working for screen readers is a known issue. This is caused by having role="application" on the <body> element. We are looking to address it.

It is not possible to configure text spacing in Power Apps. You could of course use a browser extension or user stylesheets to apply text spacing to any web page, including Power Apps. However, this might lead to text clipping if the size of the control is too small. Ensure that there is sufficient space for text to display with word spacing 0.16 times than normal. Detailed guidelines here https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Understanding/text-spacing.html

View solution in original post

Could you please provide me the link which officially states that the PowerApps does not support all the above accessibility checks?

Thanks in Advance

Power Apps supports NVDA browse mode shortcut keys, but users will have to manually switch to browse mode. When viewing an app, navigate to the main content. NVDA will switch to Application mode (similar to forms mode). To switch to browse mode, press NVDA key + space. Keyboard shortcuts can then be used.

This mode of operation is documented by NVDA but we recognize that not all users will be familiar with it. Hence, we are looking into removing role='application' from the main content.

Update: role='application' has been removed when viewing the app. So the shortcut keys of NVDA and other screen readers will work as intended.

This change will roll out next week.

niteesha
Microsoft
Microsoft

I re-published the app to check if this update reflects on my application; but, I didn't find any change.

In browse mode, on click of down arrow on the application there is some button as "skip to main content" and on click of down arrow again the focus is not moving into the application and the NVDA is reading only "Blank". 

Another issue is, For the button control, NVDA is narrating only the button text and not narrating whether the button is selected or not in browse mode. However, in focus mode, it is reading the text from the tooltip where we have given the text "Selected". 

Could anyone help me to achieve this?

Hi niteesha, can you check which version of Power Apps are you using? It looks like you are using an older version of the app. The last 3 digits of the middle part of the version should be 111 or greater.

I tested with Edge and Chrome and it works fine.

niteesha
Microsoft
Microsoft

Thanks Tahoon, it is working fine now.

I need some help regarding the button control Accessible Label. For example, In our Application, we are using buttons in place of tabs as there is no option of tabs in the PowerApps as shown in the attachment. There are 2 buttons(tabs) - Header and LineItem.  When the user clicks on the Header, the data related to Header is displayed and vice versa. Now , in browse mode, when the user navigates using down arrow, it should narrate it as " button Header Selected" instead it is narrating as "Button Header" i.e the text in the Button control. 

So, what could be the solution to make NVDA narrate it as "Button Header Selected" when the Header is selected and "Button Header" when it is not selected?

Thanks in Advancetabs as buttons.PNG

tahoon
Power Apps
Power Apps

I would suggest starting a new topic because it is about a different issue and the thread has been marked as solved.

The short answer is that Power Apps does not support custom accessible states like selected, checked, required, and so on. The workaround is to append this info to the AccessibleLabel.
Button and Label controls do not have AccessibleLabel property. One trick to use is to put the additional info in a second line and resize the control to hide the second line. Set VerticalAlign=Top.

tahoon_0-1605718330050.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,660)