Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
DS2
Level 8

Need dropdowns coming from Azure SQL to have a blank first value

Hi All,

I have a number of dropdown controls in my PowerApp, the end user will make a choice and that choice will be written back to Azure SQL. 

However, the dropdown defaults to the first in the list. I currently have it so that it sorts those items for the dropdown's Items field, as so:
Sort(Filter('[SQL.[SQL PickList Data]', 'Entry Type' <> ""), 'Entry Type', Ascending)

I would like the value to be null at start out for these dropdowns. I saw this entry in the forums:

"The dropdown control now has a new property that allows it to have empty defaults. Check for the AllowUnsetValue property in the control, and if you set it to true, you should be able to set the Default property to a blank value, and you'll start the dropdown without a selection."

I cannot find the "AllowUnsetValue" property anywhere in the dropdown control properties, would this work and if so, where is it, please?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DS2
Level 8

Re: Need dropdowns coming from Azure SQL to have a blank first value

Hmmm...that by itself didn't do it, but you set me on the right (I hope?) track, @Jeff_Thorpe  - Thanks!

I set to true, but also needed to change the default from "1" to "0" - it needed both settings to show the blank. TrueDefault.jpg

Hope that won't affect anything else. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

If it is a drop down control then try setting the "AllowEmptySelection" value to "true" in the advance tab under data.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.
DS2
Level 8

Hmmm...that by itself didn't do it, but you set me on the right (I hope?) track, @Jeff_Thorpe  - Thanks!

I set to true, but also needed to change the default from "1" to "0" - it needed both settings to show the blank. TrueDefault.jpg

Hope that won't affect anything else. 

View solution in original post

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @DS2 ,

Have you solved your problem?

Actually, when you change the AllowEmptySelection property of the Dropdown control to true, the effect would not be taken immediately within your ComboBox. You need to remove the formula from the Items property of the ComboBox, then re-type again.

As an another solution, I think the ComboBox control would be a better choice for you. In default, the ComboBox control would display blank value rather than first value from your formula.

If you have solved your problem, please go ahead to click "Accept as Solution" to identify this thread has been solved.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

'Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Join THE global Microsoft Power Platform event series

Attend for two days of expert-led learning and innovation on topics like AI and Analytics, powered by Dynamic Communities

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch

Join us for the Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event on Thursday, April 2, 2020, at 8:00 AM PST.

thirdimage

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow - The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,298)