cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mikkiel
Frequent Visitor

Need help speeding up forAll patch

Hi, I've got a patch function that updates a single field in some items in the CDS.

Currently, its I'm told it's too slow with about 16 items being patched.

This is the code:

ForAll(
    Categories_Gallery.AllItems,
    ForAll(Items_Gallery.AllItems,
        Patch(
        [@Items],
        LookUp([@Items], Name = ItemNameLbl.Text),
            {
                Inspection_result: InspectionResultRadio.Selected.Value
            }     
        );
    )
);

The items are inside a gallery, which is inside of a gallery of categories.

It gets every item from its gallery and then patches it. Right now, it takes about 5 seconds to do this and then navigate away from the screen.

Is there any way to make this faster? I was looking at concurrent() to split up the patch but the gallery has a variable amount of categories and items in it, so I don't think that would work.

4 REPLIES 4
mdevaney
Super User
Super User

@Mikkiel 

What is the name of your Primary Key in the CDS table?  Is it found in your gallery?  If yes, tell me the column name and  I can show you how to patch multiple records at once using the 'FAST PATCH' method.  Below is a preview of how I do it.  Please let me know the answer to my questions and I'll help you out.

Syntax:

Patch(your_datasource_name, your_collection)

Link To Article:

https://matthewdevaney.com/patch-multiple-records-in-power-apps-10x-faster/

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

Mikkiel
Frequent Visitor

The primary key for the Categories is item_categoryid and for the items is itemid.

These are not currently used in the galleries, but both primary name fields are.

@Mikkiel 
You'll need to include the primary key in your gallery.  It doesn't need to be shown as a label.  It just needs to be included in the record.  Once you have done this let me know.

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

Mikkiel
Frequent Visitor

Sorry for the late reply, I wasn't able to work on the powerapp until now.

I have included both primary keys in the galleries, I've just added them as labels and hidden them.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

secondImage

Power Apps Community Call

Please join us on Wednesday, October 20th, at 8a PDT. Come and learn from our amazing speakers!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,687)