cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GauravG
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Need help with Error Message

In the field shown below- since it is a link field, i want to show an error if it does not contain two backslashes "//"

And it is working fine with this formula 
If((IsBlank(Find("//",DataCardValue2.Text))),"An entry is required or has an invalid value.")

GauravG_0-1610145980994.png

The value entered here does not have 2 backslashes and so it shows an error.

The problem is that even when somebody is filling out the form, it shows out the error by default. I want it to behave like other fields which show error only if a mandatory field is blank upon submission not. Other fields have this error message- 
If(Not(IsBlank(Parent.Error)),"An entry is required or has an invalid value.")

12 REPLIES 12
Drrickryp
Super User II
Super User II

@GauravG 

I would approach the problem a little differently.  Simplified, I would put a label on the screen that is always present but disappears when the condition is met.  I would disable the submit button unless the criteria was met. _1.png

GauravG
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@Drrickryp Thanks for trying to assist and the novel suggestion.

The issue is that we have around 50 fields in this form- for each field we have an error message that displays if the value is blank. Just for this one field where i don't want it to be either blank or not containing "//"- i wouldn't want to change the submit button's visible property.

In order to be consistent, have to find a way to display the error message. Please suggest!

GauravG
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@Drrickryp @RandyHayes Thank you so much both.

Your direction helped me achieve it- a lil differently though. I took these actions

Error Message, Text Property = If(Or(Not(IsBlank(Parent.Error)),!IsMatch(DataCardValue45.Text,"//",Contains)),"An entry is required or has an invalid value.") 

Then, on Visible property of error message- i define a global variable named "gLinkError"

The variable turns true when the OnSAVE property of SP Integration form is saved without any value or without "//"- using Set(gLinkError,true)

OnNEW Property of SP Integration form is set to Set(gLinkError,false)

Thanks both again!

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

PowerPlatform 768x460.png

Microsoft Learn

Check out our new Discover Your Career Path blog post series and get all the details.

Users online (1,210)