cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wstock
Helper I
Helper I

Need help with a delegation issue

I have the following formula on a gallery to try and filter the gallery based on user input into a text field, and I am getting delegation warnings.  

Filter('Client List',StartsWith(searchInput.Text, DisplayName))

"Client List" is a SharePoint List.

DisplayName is a calculated column in SharePoint of "LastName" and "FirstName"  ie:  "Smith, John"

error1.png

I also get the following "ToolTips" that seems to indicate the issue, I just can't sort out what it means: 

When hovering over the "DisplayName" in the formula bar: 

"The 'StartsWith' function cannot be delegated if a field name appears in the second argument. "

error2.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
KrishnaV
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @wstock 

Unfortunately, Calculated column in PowerApps is not a deligated column see the below article explains what are deligated columns.
https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/sharepoint-delegation-improvement

Also, below is an excellent video playlist created by a reputed PowerApps MVP @RezaDorrani about deligation and best practices:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwiErbYtRdA&list=PLTyFh-qDKAiE6ia-D94Qk5-AzpN4dqOmD

I hope this resolved your issue if you see any challenge/need further help please let me know I am always happy to do it for my community.

Regards,
Krishna
If this post helps you give a 👍 and if it solved your issue consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more.

I hope this resolved your issue if you see any challenge/need further help please let me know I am always happy to do it for my community.

Regards,
KrishnaV
Business Applications MVP, Microsoft Certified Trainer
Twitter | Linkedin | YouTube | GitHub
If this post helps you give a and if it solved your issue consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members / new members of the community.

View solution in original post

KrishnaV
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @wstock ,

The best solution for this issue is, add a Flow to that list and populate the calculated value through to a single line of test and implement the filter. Flow can be created for all the operations on the list like add/update/delete.

Regards,
Krishna
If this post helps you give a 👍 and if it solved your issue consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more.

Regards,
KrishnaV
If this post helps you give a and if it solved your issue consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members / new members of the community.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
eka24
Super User
Super User

Try:

Filter('Client List',StartsWith( DisplayName,searchInput.Text))

------------

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

KrishnaV
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @wstock 

Unfortunately, Calculated column in PowerApps is not a deligated column see the below article explains what are deligated columns.
https://powerapps.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/sharepoint-delegation-improvement

Also, below is an excellent video playlist created by a reputed PowerApps MVP @RezaDorrani about deligation and best practices:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwiErbYtRdA&list=PLTyFh-qDKAiE6ia-D94Qk5-AzpN4dqOmD

Regards,
Krishna

Regards,
KrishnaV
usertestingtest

Try doing XYZ

KrishnaV
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @wstock ,

The best solution for this issue is, add a Flow to that list and populate the calculated value through to a single line of test and implement the filter. Flow can be created for all the operations on the list like add/update/delete.

Regards,
Krishna

Regards,
KrishnaV

Thanks @KrishnaV 

Actually, I just figured this out myself just after I posted the question...came back here to mention that exact thing.  Changed to a non-calculated column, and it's all good.  (and ya, as was mentioned in another post, I had my parameters backwards as well...it's been a long morning so far. 

Hi @KrishnaV  I am facing the same issue but the fields I am using for the Filter and StartsWith are Single line of texts... any idea what the issue can be?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps Africa Challenge 2022

Power Apps Africa Challenge

Your chance to join an engaging competition of Power Platform enthusiasts.

Super User 2 - 2022 Congratulations

Welcome Super Users

The Super User program for 2022 - Season 2 has kicked off!

September Events 2022

Check out all of these events

Attend in person or online, there are incredible conferences and events happening all throughout the month of September.

Government Carousel

New forum: GCC, GCCH, DoD - Federal App Makers (FAM)

In response to the unique and evolving requirements of the United States public sector, Microsoft has created Power Apps US Government.

Users online (5,213)