Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Need help with transition from Browse Gallery to Detail Form

Hello,

I have an app with a database and several tables in Azure. 

The "master table" is a list of voters populated with public information.  I also have a 1-to-1 relationship with a table of "tagging" data and a 1-to-many relationship with "notes".  Basically, I want to be able to associate tags, such as "donor" or "follow-up", and text notes sorted by date.

I have two of these working perfectly, but cannot figure out why the 3rd is giving me so much trouble.

Here' s a screenshot of the Voter_BrowseScreen and Voter_BrowseGallery:PowerApps1.png

* When I click the Person icon it transitions to the Voter_DetailScreen, bringing up the data associated with the exact same record in the public voter file.  I set the Voter_DetailForm..DataSource to the correct table and the Voter_DetailForm.Item to Voter_BrowseGallery.Selected.  Works Perfectly!

* When I click the Tag icon it transitions to the Tags_DetailScreen, however, there is NO DATA in the screen.  I set the Tags_DetailForm.DataSource to the correct table (the fields are there in design view) and the Tags_DetailForm.Item to Voter_BrowseGallery.Selected, but it throws a WARNING in the PowerApps editor.  It says "Invalid formula.  Expected a value compatible with 'DataSource'."  It's as if I can't access the same Voter_BrowseGallery.Selected property here that I used flawlessly in the Voter_DetailScreen above.

What am I missing?

Thanks for your time.  Jason

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: Need help with transition from Browse Gallery to Detail Form

Hi Jason,

I think you're seeing this error because the datasource for Tags_DetailForm is set to your 'Tags' table, but the item property of the form is set to a row in your 'Voter' table.

Assuming that the tables for your one-to-one setup look like this:

Voter(VoterID, Firstname, Address)
Tag(VoterID, Tag1Desc, Tag2Desc)

The formula that you would use for the item property of the Tags_DetailForm would look something like this:

Lookup('[dbo].[Tag]', Voter_BrowseGallery.Selected.VoterID = VoterID)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Hi Jason,

I think you're seeing this error because the datasource for Tags_DetailForm is set to your 'Tags' table, but the item property of the form is set to a row in your 'Voter' table.

Assuming that the tables for your one-to-one setup look like this:

Voter(VoterID, Firstname, Address)
Tag(VoterID, Tag1Desc, Tag2Desc)

The formula that you would use for the item property of the Tags_DetailForm would look something like this:

Lookup('[dbo].[Tag]', Voter_BrowseGallery.Selected.VoterID = VoterID)

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

This makes total sense and it works perfectly.

Thanks for your help!

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Glad that worked for you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Check this Out

Announcing

Class of 2020- Season 2

Check this Out

Helpful information

Featuring samples like Return to the Workplace and Emergency Response Applications

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're excited to announce our first cross-community 'Can You Solve These?' challenge!

secondImage

Return to Workplace

Reopen responsibly, monitor intelligently, and protect continuously with solutions for a safer work environment.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (9,219)