cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Oskarkuus
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

New Office365 Lists - What lists will users see?

I need some help to understand the new Microsoft Office365 List app

https://resources.techcommunity.microsoft.com/microsoft-lists/

I work quite allot in Powerapps.

I use often Sharepoint Lists as a place to store data for the app.

All the users need permissions to edit this list if they are to use an powerapp to update and add data to the list.

I am now worried that users will fins these Sharepoint lists in the new List App?

Before i could hide the list easily on a sharepoint site and give specific permissions to the list and then hide it. But now im worried that the List App will show all lists that the user have permissions to.

Can anyone explain how this will work?

13 REPLIES 13
WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

Hi @Oskarkuus ,

"Hiding" the list is a good idea and I do it regularly on sub-sites with names users would not guess. Unless the user has design permission on the app, they cannot see the list names that are connected to it.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Thanks for your answer.

But could you please clarify.

Do you mean that unless the user have the permission level Design or higher (full control). The user will not be able to see the list in the new List App?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/sites/user-permissions-and-permission-levels

I wanna find the exact trigger to what makes an list visible for the user in the new app. So i can make sure that my lists are hidden.

I also put all my lists in sub-sites of a sp site. And only give me full permission on the sites, but then grant EDIT permission to users.

Also i go in and turn off the option in advance settings of the list that allow the list to show up in search results.

But i want to make sure they are keept hidden, now when we have the new List Application.

Hi @Oskarkuus ,

In Power Apps, they need to be a co-owner to edit the app and see the data sources.

In SharePoint, I believe Contribute will stop them exploring.

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Hi @Oskarkuus ,

Just checking if you got the result you were looking for on this thread. Happy to help further if not.

@WarrenBelz

NNo, not really. 

I still dont know if the new Lists app is a problem. Will users see all lists they have permission to use? 

What triggers the Lists app to display a list? 

All our powerapps are using SharePoint lists as datasource. 

And we do not want any user direct in the list/datasource. 

How do i find these answers? 

@Oskarkuus ,

What is the List app you are referring to - is it this?

@WarrenBelz

IIt is a new offic365 application to let users easily work with lists. 

When they open list app from the portal., they see recent lists. And it is here i am worried that users will get quick access to all SP lists that they have edit permissions to. 

When a user select a list in the list app, they go to the actual SP list. And therefore can edit in an powerapps datasource. 

The point of powerapps is for us to buld a controled user interface and limit and control how users add and edit data. 

Yes, the link you posted is what i refer to. 

@Oskarkuus ,

That is not a Power App, so I not really something for this forum, however looking at it you are correct that it has the potential for users to see a lot more than you intend them to.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

Microsoft Build 768x460.png

Microsoft Build is May 24-26. Have you registered yet?

Come together to explore latest innovations in code and application development—and gain insights from experts from around the world.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

What difference can a User Group make for you?

At the monthly call, connect with other leaders and find out how community makes your experience even better.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,593)