cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

New PowerApp and Azure Active Directory

Hello,

We have a requirment to create a Role based (Admin+User - from Azure Active Directory) PowerApp which when logged in will show diffrent screens based on their privilleges.

Questions

1) Is the requirment possible ??

2) We started using our Organisation's Office365 license to start exploring powerApps, but what we want is to setup a new Azure ActiveDirectory and start devloping powerapps with the new Azure AD, we were able to setup new AD, but we are not sure on how to proceed to start working with power apps using the credentials of the users inthe new Azure AD, can someone explain or point me to the documentation on how to do this.

Much appreciated.

Thanks -M

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: New PowerApp and Azure Active Directory

Hi madhugilla,

Currently I don't think PowerApps would be able to generate different screens based on the logins with the same app.

Role Level Security configured at the data source should be able to use, such as the SQL server.

So if we have pages that are configured with some data which the current login don't have permission to view, then it will show errors. Check Data sources in PowerApps.

For question 2, you may begin from the article below:

PowerApps in your organization Q&A

I am not sure how you setup the new Azure AD, would you please share some details?

If you have any further questions, please feel free to post back.

Regards

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Hi Team,

Is there a way to read users data by connetcing to Azure AD? In sharepoint we have people picker columns. If i have to build a normal application where i want user information from AD how to achive this functionality?

Are there any AD connectors ?

Thanks,
Sru

Highlighted
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Hi Sru,

No there is no AD connector, you would need to create your own.

You may be able to use the Office365Users Connector to surface a users information instead.

Hope this helps

- Keith 

Highlighted
Power Apps
Power Apps

The way that this can be achieved is by using the "User()" function that will return the current user. What a lot of apps do is use "User().Email" and you can use that to query maybe a SQL Table or a CDS table that returns the "Application Roles" that the user has. For example I would "ClearCollect" those roles into a local collection for ease of use and performance, and then in the app you can LookUp in that collection to check for a role, and determine if it should Navigate to a different screen, or show different sections of the page or not.

Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Adding to this thread to help future proof it - there is an Azure AD Connector in preview at time of writing. Check https://www.carlosag.net/PowerApps/Connectors/Azure-AD for currently known properties.

Highlighted
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hi, 

I have an important question for my duty.

if I'd want to create an app that allows me to show users only a certain amount of data according to the precise access permissions, how can I do?
I mean. In the case where: Jhon is a user who belongs to the "Sales" group. He has a role as a simple seller within thet group and can only look up the reports related to his contracts. Mark is the manager of the "Sales" group. He can look up all sales reports, so all contracts of all sellers.

How can i tell to the app to limit the data that can be viewed from Jhon related to his permissions by the organization? (AAD group security? O365groups? other ways?)

Thx

Andi

Andi

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Tech Marathon

Maratón de Soluciones de Negocio Microsoft

Una semana de contenido con +100 sesiones educativas, consultorios, +10 workshops Premium, Hackaton, EXPO, Networking Hall y mucho más!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,692)