cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

New read-only columns in Sharepoint list blocking PowerApp?

Hello,

I have a SharePoint list that I would like to download to PowerApp, edit, then upload. The code below downloads and uploads, and is in a button for testing.

If(Connection.Connected,
ClearCollect(_InspectItems, Filter('Inspection Summary', Inspector_LastName=_LastName, Inspector_FirstName=_FirstName)));
If(Connection.Connected, Patch('Inspection Summary', _InspectItems));

When running this, I get the error:

{FilenameWithExtension}: The specified column is read-only and can't be modified.

I can not find this column in my SharePoint list. It seems like something internal to SharePoint that was recently added? So I excluded this column. Then more errors due to other hidden columns so exclude them too:

If(Connection.Connected,
ClearCollect(_InspectItems, DropColumns(Filter('Inspection Summary', Inspector_LastName=_LastName, Inspector_FirstName=_FirstName),
"Author","ComplianceAssetId","{FilenameWithExtension}","{FullPath}","{HasAttachments}","{Identifier}","{IsFolder}","{Link}",
"{ModerationComment}","{ModerationStatus}","{Name}","{Path}","{Thumbnail}","{TriggerWindowEndToken}","{TriggerWindowStartToken}","{VersionNumber}")));

Now I am stuck on this error:

Author#Claims: The specified column is read-only and can't be modified.

DropColumns() does not recognize this column so I am not able to exclude it. Any ideas on how to exclude this column and any additional hidden, read-only columns that may show up?

Thank you very much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Re: New read-only columns in Sharepoint list blocking PowerApp?

Thanks @insp33 ,

Firstly you are correct that SubmitForm will never work offline as you cannot present a record from a Collection in a form.

However if you Patch (or UpdateIf) using columns, you need the Syntax below to tell Power Apps which record to update.

UpdateIf(
   YourListName,
   ID=YourGalleryName.Selected.ID,
   {
      Field1:Control1Value,
      Field2:Control2Value,
      Field3:Control3Value
   }
)

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @insp33 ,

Try using AddColumns to add only the ones you are gong to change

If(
   Connection.Connected,
   ClearCollect(
      _InspectItems, 
      AddColumns(
         Filter(
            'Inspection Summary', 
            Inspector_LastName=_LastName, 
            Inspector_FirstName=_FirstName
         ),
         "Column1",
         "Column2",
         "Column3"
      )
   )
)

Please click Accept as solution if my post helped you solve your issue. This will help others find it more readily. It also closes the item. If the content was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Thumbs Up.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I gave up on that because there are almost 200 columns and the column headers shown in SharePoint list do not match what I needed to use in PowerApp. That's why I went in the other direction to exclude. 

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@insp33 ,

How many of the columns are likely to be changed?

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

All of columns will be changed in PowerApp. About 200.

Unfortunately, the SharePoint list headers were renamed over time, so I don't have the original names that I can use in PowerApp. Trying to figure out those names have been very challenging. At least PowerApp is telling me which column is read-only and I can exclude those, except for this last one.

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @insp33 ,

I can help with one problem - if you hover over the field name in List Settings, you will see the original name in the bottom panelColumnNames.png

Is there any reason you are simply not presenting a form based directly on the list with the fields you require and then simply using SubmitForm()?

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

That is helpful in other ways. In this case, I am experiencing a lot of typos entering ~200 of these types of column names for PowerApp.  👓

CRSN100KVA%5Fx002d%5F7200%5Fx002f%5F1247

I have not been able to get the SubmitForm() to work offline.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

BTW, I tested keeping a couple of the columns that I want, rather than these read-only columns. The result is that the upload creates a new row in SharePoint list, rather than editing the existing row that was downloaded. This suggests there are other columns that I need to keep for this to work. 🤔

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Thanks @insp33 ,

Firstly you are correct that SubmitForm will never work offline as you cannot present a record from a Collection in a form.

However if you Patch (or UpdateIf) using columns, you need the Syntax below to tell Power Apps which record to update.

UpdateIf(
   YourListName,
   ID=YourGalleryName.Selected.ID,
   {
      Field1:Control1Value,
      Field2:Control2Value,
      Field3:Control3Value
   }
)

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I did a test with a few of my columns plus "ID" and this works. So now I better start transcribing all ~200 columns because this is gonna take a while... Thank you very much! 👍

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,053)