Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mishatandon
Helper III
Helper III

New user | seeking guidance on how to build excel like tables

Dear community,

This is my first post and I am looking to build an excel data table like entry sheet. I am not sure if this is possible in power app and seeking guidance for the same. Below are the requirements:

1) I want 2 excel like tables to be displayed on the same page- one table would only have 'Un-editable' information for the user to refer to make edits / updates on the second information , 2 table will have 3-4 editable fields to be input / edited by user which means this table will be editable. The reason I am consistently saying 'table' is that look and feel should be like an excel table.

2) The editable table will have column validations. If validation is not met, user to be displayed with 'error message' and user 'cannot' save unless the validation is 'met'.

3) since this information would be accesses by multiple users who are 'owners' of data, as soon as they access the application they should only be presented with information where they are the 'owners'. Its a sort of row level security I want to apply.

These are deal breaker requirements for my stakeholder. Can somebody guide me on how to approach and build?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mdevaney
Super User
Super User

@Mishatandon 

If your client requires an Excel-like table then honestly PowerApps is may not be the solution for you.

The current workaround is to create a repeating table in a Gallery as shown in the 3 part video series by Shane Young (link below).  This however, does not behave like an Excel table.  You cannot press enter to go to the next line.  

Link To Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgznk4XlPCo

If your stakeholder can accept the way PowerApps Repeating Tables Like Infopath work then I'm sure you can get requirements #2 & #3 working.  My recommendation is to watch the video, try to get it working, and post a new forums question each time you have a specific problem you want help with.  There are several broad questions in your single post and its not easy for our forum members to give a valuable response.

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
mdevaney
Super User
Super User

@Mishatandon 

If your client requires an Excel-like table then honestly PowerApps is may not be the solution for you.

The current workaround is to create a repeating table in a Gallery as shown in the 3 part video series by Shane Young (link below).  This however, does not behave like an Excel table.  You cannot press enter to go to the next line.  

Link To Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgznk4XlPCo

If your stakeholder can accept the way PowerApps Repeating Tables Like Infopath work then I'm sure you can get requirements #2 & #3 working.  My recommendation is to watch the video, try to get it working, and post a new forums question each time you have a specific problem you want help with.  There are several broad questions in your single post and its not easy for our forum members to give a valuable response.

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,023)