cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Arankin1
Frequent Visitor

Newbie Dropdown list question

Hi.  I'm creating a powerapp with multiple datasources.  I'm trying to write a formula so that I can sort a drop-down box alphabetically and also remove duplicates.  I think I see how to do the more complicated sorting parts, but I'm having a hard time selecting the proper items.  When I use the properties pane to select the datasource and then value it seems to work just fine, but as soon as I try and use a formula I run into problems.

Here's what I have in my working box:

DropdownTechnician.items = Technicicans.Title

The box which doesn't work reads:

DrowdownJobName.items = 'Job & Task List From Dynamics (Test)'.'Job Name'

What am I doing wrong here?  Does "title" have a special meaning and it's only coincidence that it's the name of my column?  I tried using "'Job & Task List From Dynamics (Test)'.title" and that didn't work either.

Thanks for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-xida-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Arankin1 ,

Could you please share a bit more about the 'Job & Task List From Dynamics (Test)'? Is it your data source?

The 'Title' used in your first formula represents the Title column in your Technicicans SP List. If you want to display unique Title value within the DropdownTechnician box, please try the following workaround:

Set the Items property of the DropdownTechnician box to following:

Distinct(Technicicans, Title)

If the 'Job & Task List From Dynamics (Test)' represents your data source, please try the following formula:

Distinct('Job & Task List From Dynamics (Test)', 'Job Name')

and then make sure the Value property of the Dropdown box has been set to Result.

1.JPG

Please try the above solution, then check if the issue is solved.

Regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
eka24
Super User III
Super User III

What is the name of your Datasource that you want to put on the dropdown?

Also show a screenshot of your formula on the dropdown. That would help

------------

If you like this post, give a Thumbs up. Where it solved your request, Mark it as a Solution to enable other users find it.

v-xida-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Arankin1 ,

Could you please share a bit more about the 'Job & Task List From Dynamics (Test)'? Is it your data source?

The 'Title' used in your first formula represents the Title column in your Technicicans SP List. If you want to display unique Title value within the DropdownTechnician box, please try the following workaround:

Set the Items property of the DropdownTechnician box to following:

Distinct(Technicicans, Title)

If the 'Job & Task List From Dynamics (Test)' represents your data source, please try the following formula:

Distinct('Job & Task List From Dynamics (Test)', 'Job Name')

and then make sure the Value property of the Dropdown box has been set to Result.

1.JPG

Please try the above solution, then check if the issue is solved.

Regards,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Arankin1
Frequent Visitor

Thanks guys.  I think I was able to make this work through trial and error. 

Hi @Arankin1 ,

Have you solved your problem? Is the solution I provided above helpful for your scenario?

If you have solved your problem, or the solution I provided above is helpful for your scenario, please consider go ahead to click "Accept as Solution" to identify this thread has been solved.

Regards,

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

PowerPlatform 768x460.png

Microsoft Learn

Check out our new Discover Your Career Path blog post series and get all the details.

Users online (1,073)