cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
torbegrp

No access to sharepoint list due to special restrictions for user groups

Hello,

I am trying to build a PowerApp with a SharePoint list as the "database". Of course, the end users of the app need access to the lists in order to make entries in the database. However, for data protection reasons, they should not have access to the entire list. I then created a permission level and assigned it to the end-user group in the sharepoint. The users can also access the sharepoint list via the web browser, but when they try to access the list via the PowerApp, I get the following error code: Acess is denied. (Expetion from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED)

Does anyone have an idea how I can work around this error or how I can alternatively prevent the users from viewing the entire list in the sharepoint?

The sharepoint permissions of the permission level:

torbegrp_0-1652955442770.png

torbegrp_1-1652955466132.png

Thank you very much for your feedback!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PowerSäm
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @torbegrp ,

I have to say I have also been looking for an option for a very long time and never found anything good. There are ways where you can hide the SharePoint list, that means, the user can not navigate to it, but once he has the exact link and pasted into the browser, then he comes to the Sharepoit list anyway.

After a long search I found the following article, which allows to restrict sharepoint access, but not for PowerApps. That means, the user cannot go directly to the sharepoint list, but he still has access to the data source on PowerApps.

Here is the link to it:

https://michelcarlo.com/2021/05/30/steps-to-deny-power-apps-users-access-to-sharepoint-data-from-the...

I hope I could help you with this. Let me know if it worked for you.

Best regards,
PowerSäm

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
PowerSäm
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

Hi @torbegrp ,

I have to say I have also been looking for an option for a very long time and never found anything good. There are ways where you can hide the SharePoint list, that means, the user can not navigate to it, but once he has the exact link and pasted into the browser, then he comes to the Sharepoit list anyway.

After a long search I found the following article, which allows to restrict sharepoint access, but not for PowerApps. That means, the user cannot go directly to the sharepoint list, but he still has access to the data source on PowerApps.

Here is the link to it:

https://michelcarlo.com/2021/05/30/steps-to-deny-power-apps-users-access-to-sharepoint-data-from-the...

I hope I could help you with this. Let me know if it worked for you.

Best regards,
PowerSäm

WarrenBelz
Super User
Super User

@torbegrp ,

Just confirming that @PowerSäm 's link functions as expected - you need to disable View Application Pages and the users cannot navigate to / open any SharePoint view on the list. I have been using this for a number of years.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Power Platform Call June 2022 768x460.png

Power Platform Community Call

Join us for the next call on June 15, 2022 at 8am PDT.

PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

PA.JPG

New Release Planning Portal (Preview)

Check out our new release planning portal, an interactive way to plan and prepare for upcoming features in Power Platform.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,784)