cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Super User
Super User

No workable scenario for boolean in a droptown filter (SP Datasource)

I have a yes/no column in SP.  All I want to do is show the "yes" items in a dropdown.  Simple, yes?  Well... you would think.  No combination of statements yeilds a proper result.

First attempt:

1. The logical option:  Filter(PDM_PDF_Post,Repost=true)

Result:  I get only "no" items.  No "yes", nor blank.  No statement errors.

2. The sanity check:  Filter(PDM_PDF_Post,Repost=false)

Result:  I get only "no" items.  No "yes", nor blank.  No statement errors. (Same as #1... ???)

2. The secondary option:  Filter(PDM_PDF_Post,Repost=1)

Result:  Correct Items, but a type mismatch.  Warning that it cant evaluate my formula.  Despite the correct results, its against my sensibilities to leave it.  (left Boolean, right Number)

Other combinations of type conversions to not work.  Since there is no boolean convertion statement, that is not an option.  How to resolve this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: No workable scenario for boolean in a droptown filter (SP Datasource)

Well, I shouldnt of had to do it, but I ended up making the column a text line, 16 char long, and using the text "yes" and "no".  Boolean columns take less space (one bit vs 8+).  I dont think this should have been necessary, but it was the only way to eliminate the delegation and type problems.

Filter(PDM_PDF_Post,Repost="yes")

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Super User
Super User

Hi @martinav

I think this might be due to the SharePoint yes/no column type bug. There's a little bit more detail here.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/General-Discussion/Filter-using-Checkbox/m-p/200364#M64601

Could you try this to see if it works?

Filter(PDM_PDF_Post,Repost<>false)

Super User
Super User

Well, I will say it works "better".  But only that it does not give me the message of it not being able to resolve the statement, but it does say it is non-delegable.  Which seems quite silly.  That is still not really acceptable.   I also have to throw in the blank condition.  Which makes the statement more complex, which is unnecessary.  Its only one item on the page, so the increased inefeciency will not be noticeable.  But still, its so fundamentally wrong that you cannot make a proper statement for an =true condition.

Filter(PDM_PDF_Post,Repost<>false And Repost<>Blank())

I will likely change the SP column to text, and give up on the yes/no.

Super User
Super User

Well, I shouldnt of had to do it, but I ended up making the column a text line, 16 char long, and using the text "yes" and "no".  Boolean columns take less space (one bit vs 8+).  I dont think this should have been necessary, but it was the only way to eliminate the delegation and type problems.

Filter(PDM_PDF_Post,Repost="yes")

View solution in original post

Super User
Super User

Thanks for highlighting the delegation issues @martinav. This is obviously a bug, so I hope it'll be fixed soon.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

'Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Join THE global Microsoft Power Platform event series

Attend for two days of expert-led learning and innovation on topics like AI and Analytics, powered by Dynamic Communities

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch

Join us for the Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event on Thursday, April 2, 2020, at 8:00 AM PST.

thirdimage

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow - The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (9,543)