cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
astrontelstar
Helper IV
Helper IV

NoSQL?

Does anyone have experience with trying to use NoSql and building Powerapps?  If so, did you use Cosmos or another database.  How well would you say PowerApps works with a NoSql database.  I'm considering using a NoSQL on recommendation of a good friend.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MathewM
Helper I
Helper I

To begin with Power Apps doesn't support unstructured data sources such as Cosmos which means there are no direct connectors available to use. The first project I made in Power Apps used Cosmos as my data source. This meant I had to trigger a Power Automate flow from my app, then use that flow to retrieve data from my Cosmos DB, and finally return the structured data back to my app where I would then save it into a collection. The whole process made my app a whole lot slower and nowhere near as responsive when compared to using something like SharePoint. I have heard that you can setup custom connectors as well but I don't have any experience with this so can't really comment on how effective this solution is. So yes it's possible but I personally would only use Cosmos again if it was a hard requirement as the alternatives are much friendlier, and allow you to use more of the features Power Apps provide. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
MathewM
Helper I
Helper I

To begin with Power Apps doesn't support unstructured data sources such as Cosmos which means there are no direct connectors available to use. The first project I made in Power Apps used Cosmos as my data source. This meant I had to trigger a Power Automate flow from my app, then use that flow to retrieve data from my Cosmos DB, and finally return the structured data back to my app where I would then save it into a collection. The whole process made my app a whole lot slower and nowhere near as responsive when compared to using something like SharePoint. I have heard that you can setup custom connectors as well but I don't have any experience with this so can't really comment on how effective this solution is. So yes it's possible but I personally would only use Cosmos again if it was a hard requirement as the alternatives are much friendlier, and allow you to use more of the features Power Apps provide. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,269)