cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
elkay73
Helper I
Helper I

Non-profit needs attendance solution

The nonprofit I work for is in need of and attendance (not time) tracking solution.  I am a power user for MS Access but a complete novice with PowerApps.  I need the solution to be web-based in O365 and I believe PowerApps can meet our requirements.  However, I am overwhelmed by the possibilites in PowerApps and need guidance on what parts to build when.  Our ultimate goal is to report the attendance ratio (days attended/days scheduled to attend) by Program, by Attendee, by week, month, and an annual view.  We have over 250 attendees on a daily bases for roughly 33 programs that will need to be accounted for.  I believe storing the attendance data in Excel in OneDrive for Business rather than a Sharepoint list is the best choice.  Other data could be stored in Sharepoint lists such as list of Attendees or list of Programs.  I don't know which would work better: keeping everything in the excel file or a combination of Excel/Sharepoint. 

When attendance is recorded the user will select the program and the shift.  The form should then list and prepopulate as 'Present' only those attendees scheduled to attend on that day for that shift (AM or PM).  The user will then update those that are 'Absent' and store the data to Excel capturing program, attendee, date, shift, attendance.  My biggest challenge on the User Interface input form is that some attendees only come Mondays and Wednesdays, others are Mondays and Fridays, or Tuesdays and Wednesday, really any combination although most are all 5 days M-F.  Company Holidays and attendee vacations also need to be recognized as not required to attend on those days.

I am looking for any suggestions, guidance, comments on how all of you experienced users would tackle this project.

Thank you for your time!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Drrickryp
Super User II
Super User II

Hi @elkay73 

I also migrated from Web Access to Powerapps 3 years ago.  One of the advantages of PowerApps is that you can store your tables in one or many different back ends such as Excel, SharePoint, SQL and the one native to PowerApps, Common Data Service (now called Dataverse) and use them all in a single PowerApp.  You undoubtedly think of a database in terms of tables and relationships with Primary and Foreign keys.  These structures and relational principles also apply to PowerApps.  Basically, you can think of PowerApps as a front end for your tables and relationships. Please review my blog series starting here:  https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/News-Announcements/Database-Design-Fundamentals-and-PowerApps-An...   for seeing how these apply to PowerApps.  

There is another major difference between Access and PowerApps.  Since PowerApps is designed to run in a browser on hand held devices and tablets as well as desktop computers, many useful functions must be delegated to the server hosting the tables so that the execution of the function occurs at the server level. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/delegation-overview   As I read your question, you will be generating some extremely large tables. If the Items in a single table will exceed 2000, delegation limits will apply.  If that is the case, then my suggestion would be to plan to use SQL or Common Data Service as the back end for your tables. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Drrickryp
Super User II
Super User II

Hi @elkay73 

I also migrated from Web Access to Powerapps 3 years ago.  One of the advantages of PowerApps is that you can store your tables in one or many different back ends such as Excel, SharePoint, SQL and the one native to PowerApps, Common Data Service (now called Dataverse) and use them all in a single PowerApp.  You undoubtedly think of a database in terms of tables and relationships with Primary and Foreign keys.  These structures and relational principles also apply to PowerApps.  Basically, you can think of PowerApps as a front end for your tables and relationships. Please review my blog series starting here:  https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/News-Announcements/Database-Design-Fundamentals-and-PowerApps-An...   for seeing how these apply to PowerApps.  

There is another major difference between Access and PowerApps.  Since PowerApps is designed to run in a browser on hand held devices and tablets as well as desktop computers, many useful functions must be delegated to the server hosting the tables so that the execution of the function occurs at the server level. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/delegation-overview   As I read your question, you will be generating some extremely large tables. If the Items in a single table will exceed 2000, delegation limits will apply.  If that is the case, then my suggestion would be to plan to use SQL or Common Data Service as the back end for your tables. 

View solution in original post

Thank you so much this helps put it perspective for me.  I will definitely be checking out your blog series!

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

Power Apps Community Call

Monthly Power Apps Community Call

Did you miss the call?? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here!

secondImage

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV STudio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage applications post-AppSource publish.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (93,225)