Whenever I try to update an existing custom connector or create a new custom connector it loads for a while and finally shows the following error :
Client request aborted. Please see 'http://aka.ms/powerAutomateClientRequestAborted' for more details.
Please find the screenshot in the attachment.
Let us know if you need any further info.
As mentioned in the link, companies may set firewalls or block their users from unknown domains or IP addresses, which can be one of the reason why you get this error.
Did you try creating the custom connector through postman collection?
If it works through postman, then you can export the collection and import it when creating the custom connector.
F12 network trace can also help gather more information around what other errors are logged when you try creating the connector.
I hardly believe, but the explanation about firewall blocking IP address, could be relevant.
Basically I managed to update my custom connector by:
Hopefully this helps others too.
I am getting the same issue updating connectors, in multiple different environments and networks. I cannot believe it is a firewall issue, because very occasionally it does work. I found unblocking 3rd party cookies to *.microsoft.com, *.dynamics.com and *.office.com helps a bit, but still getting issues most of the time.
Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!
Stay up tp date on the latest blogs and activities in the community News & Announcements.
Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021
Check out the Power Platform Community Highlights