cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Downsey301

Notification Bubble

Hi.

I’ve got a bulletin tab on my canvas app. It allows users to create a message and place into a gallery. Other users are then able to view multiple messages by clicking on the gallery.

It would be great to have a notification bubble, like the one at the top of this screen on the bell button.

I would like for it to count how many new messages are in the gallery. Once their viewed by that user, the bubble then disappears.

Does that make sense? Is it do-able?

Any help with this would be amazing.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
rubin_boer
Super User
Super User

cool that's great news

"You have " & CountRows(Filter(YourDataSource,state = "new")) & " new messages."

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Drrickryp
Super User II
Super User II

@Downsey301 

You can use the Notify() function to show your message if you place it in the OnSuccess property of an Edit form.  As an option you can specify how many milliseconds it shows up for or if you leave it blank it stays up for 10 seconds by default. Another option allows you to indicate whether the message is an error, success, or information by the color of its background, Red, Green or Yellow respectively. The documentation for it is here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/functions/function-showerror 1.png

Thanks. I have that already for when a form is submitted.

The bulletin screen is designed to have messages for all the team to see and remain there until the owner removes it.

The notify() function wouldn’t be suitable for this.

I already have the red bubble counter label on the button to open the bulletin screen. 

How do I make the bubble disappear for that user only, upon them viewing the message in the gallery view?

Thanks

Drrickryp
Super User II
Super User II

@Downsey301 

Check out this video by Shane Young.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tJk7LxgocA .  Although it addresses tooltips, he has a nice example of a popup that sounds like what you are looking for including features like how to turn it off and how to trigger it. 

Shane Young has some really good videos. Though it’s not quite what I’m looking for.

I already have a label that counts how many items are in a gallery.

I just need it to hide once a user has viewed that message. So in essence it only counts unread messages. Once there’s no unread messages left, it hides.

rubin_boer
Super User
Super User

hi @Downsey301 

you need to have a way to capture that the user has read the message.

have a look at this, counting the rows which have a new in them is highlighted to the user as messages to read.

The DataSource have a column called state to collect if the user has read it. a i created a collection to show the concept: ClearCollect(Notice,{msg: "hello" , state: "new"},{msg: "what" , state: "new"})

rubin_boer_0-1616870887864.png

Click the correct green icon OnSelect = Patch(Notice,ThisItem,{state: "read"})

Once the reader click on the read mark the collection return one new message.

rubin_boer_1-1616871035351.png

Is this what you looking for?

Yeah, I think this would work. I just need to work out how to implement it into my app. I’m a bit of newbie.

Thanks 👍🏼

How would I change the label to show how many unread messages are still in the box?

rubin_boer
Super User
Super User

cool that's great news

"You have " & CountRows(Filter(YourDataSource,state = "new")) & " new messages."

View solution in original post

Awesome. I’ll give that a go! Cheers 👍🏼

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

PowerPlatform 768x460.png

Microsoft Learn

Check out our new Discover Your Career Path blog post series and get all the details.

Users online (1,540)