cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Friendlycatt
Microsoft
Microsoft

Notification of new submission

I built a 5 question form on PowerApps based off a SharePoint list. When someone answers these 5 questions we want to be notified about the submission so we can review quickly. How can we be notified about a new entry? Idea is to get an email saying "new submission received". I figured I needed to use flow but wanted to get some guidance if someone had done this before. 

Thank you!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@Friendlycatt 

Simple solution is to set up a flow in PowerAutomate that is triggered when a new record is created, then will email any persons that you want.

I hope this is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@Friendlycatt 

Simple solution is to set up a flow in PowerAutomate that is triggered when a new record is created, then will email any persons that you want.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

View solution in original post

C-Papa
Super User
Super User

Hi, this video should show you the process - no flow is required!

PowerApps send email with a button - YouTube

@C-Papa 

Yeah I thought of that way at first too, then I thought of way similar to @RandyHayes 

The way from @RandyHayes IMO is simpler - if it is possible to use that. The other way you have to set up "Ask in PowerApps" and connect Power Apps to Flow, or use a Office 365 Connector only from PowerApps directly which means that it might not work when the list is modified from another way. But with way mentioned by @RandyHayes you set Power Automate to Trigger on the change of SP List, so it is less work to set it up, andit also can apply and be re-usable outside of the specific Power App too.

Unless it is needed to have it sent by the button for some reason, better not to and trigger it off the list. 

I recommend solution from @RandyHayes if possible:

@Friendlycatt 

Yes, I think setting up a power automate would be best because we as the admins are trying to be notified about the submissions. 

Will try that out & give an update. 

THANK YOU!

C-Papa
Super User
Super User

@Friendlycatt  that is fair enough, there are often lots of different ways of doing the same job. @RandyHayes solution is a good one and also allows you to control the notifications outside of PowerApps which is much simpler, the only issue in my experience is, if a flow is not run in a 90 day period, the flow will turn itself off. if you then add a record after this has happened you may not get notified. You can stop this by running the flow and PowerAutomate sends good reminders. As long as you have a stream of records being added to your SharePoint list you will be fine. If the frequency drops down to more than 90 days it might be easier to do it in PowerApps. 

poweractivate
Community Champion
Community Champion

This is only on some of plans, others have no such 90 day limit at all:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-automate/limits-and-config#expiration-limits

It is only on Free, Trial, and the Microsoft 365 plans. If you have Per User plan of Power Automate for example it is not even there. I wonder if even the Power Apps Per User Plan (even if it isn't Power Automate) might also mean you don't get the limit.

If it's not being used for so long, it might even be good to know about that actually. 

The Power Automate way - and especially without using an integration with Power Apps specifically - is still simplest IMO. If you just like it better though, you can also use the way where you just send it off of Power Apps without Power Automate - but it is IMO less manageable, the Flow is more modular and it can also be used to monitor SP List Changes from elsewhere, so the logic can be reused for Power Apps and other places. Also for this kind of specific use case I feel Power Automate is just better suited for it and simpler to set up, use and manage.

If you find Power Apps direct Office 365 Email Connection Formulas easier or more comfortable, by all means please do use it though.

Limits on how long flows will remain turned on before they expire and get turned off

EXPIRATION LIMITSName Limit Notes
Flows with errors14 daysA cloud flow that has a trigger or actions which fail continuously will be turned off. Fix your trigger or actions and turn on the flow.
Not triggered (dormant) flows90 days for Free, Trial, Community and Microsoft 365 Plans.No expiration limit for all othersA cloud flow that has no successful triggers will expire and be turned off. After 90 days of inactivity, the flow creator will receive an email. If no action is taken in next 30 days, the flow will be systematically turned off and the creator will be notified in an email. For enterprise scenarios, we recommend you buy a standalone Power Automate license listed in Pricing article to ensure your flow isn’t turned off due to inactivity. You can turn your cloud flows back on anytime.
Consistently throttled flows14 daysA cloud flow that is consistently throttled for 14 days will be turned off. The flow creator will get an email when the flow starts throttling and when the flow is turned off. For enterprise scenarios, we recommend you buy a standalone Power Automate license listed in Pricing article to get higher action limits. You can turn your cloud flows back on anytime.

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,803)