cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
prasadvenkat
Level: Powered On

Notifying Users of new version of App

Is there a way we can notify users of "new version" of the app? Any way we can trigger notification to all users upon doing a publish?  

5 REPLIES 5
Super User
Super User

Re: Notifying Users of new version of App

@prasadvenkat 

What are you attempting to solve?  Is it that users that are in the app need to be notified so they can exit and re-enter?  Otherwise, when you publish and a user starts the App...they will have the latest version.

If you are trying to kick people out that are in it so they can start over...no built-in way that I know of.  You could create some list as a data source that would have an app version in it.  Periodically (via a timer control) check that list and compare version information - if not the same, notify the user and give them the option to exit.

I Hope that gives you some help.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
prasadvenkat
Level: Powered On

Don't users have to refresh the PowerApps before launching the app? I do not need to get users to exit the running app. If they get the latest version automatically upon app launch that is good. But thought the refresh button was required to be pushed before launching the app so they get a new version

Super User
Super User

@prasadvenkat 

In all my journeys it has always downloaded the latest published app when selected.  

I will say that sometimes I have noticed it may not happen on the first selection of the app from the list - but if not, it usually happens on the second.

Since an older version could have negative impacts on the data as may be redefined in a newer version - where ever that is the case, we do have a list somewhere that has the version in it (our version).  We compare that on start up and if not correct...dump out.  This solved the problem of a user clicking on an app and somehow getting an older version of it.  Then, since they were dumped out, it was just about them clicking on it again...it usually downloaded the new at that point.

Hope that helps some.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
xzDan
Level 8

Exactly what I have done, @RandyHayes . A separate list with just a version number, and I enter a number on each app. If they aren't the same, it is locked. I had to use this due to the browser ( I suppose) often caching an older version.

Super User
Super User

@xzDan 

As a bonus...we also have the list with a Maintenance date (both a start and end column) and a Maintenance Comment column as well.

This way we can "announce" a maintenance mode if a user uses the app during a period where we need to change critical aspects of it (usually for underlying datasource changes).

The possibilities are endless!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Ranks and Rank Icons in April

'New Ranks and Rank Icons in April

Read the announcement for more information!

Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

'Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow - The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (4,352)