Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resolver I
Resolver I

Number format issue

Hi All,

@mdevaney  has helped me a lot with pre-populating a Sharepoint List with times (30 minutes periods fro a full 24hrs) for an app I'm building.

I set up a test app in tablet format to learn how it does it stuff.

The list is populated with 700,730,800,830 etc

The Gallery on the left shows the time slots in a format more pleasing to the eye using Text(ThisItem.Time,"[$-en-US]00:00")

However, when I display the Gallery item in the form on the right, it displays the time as 730 (as the list) rather than 07:30 and I can't seem to get it to repeat the same format. I shall keep plugging away but any suggestions would be greatfully received 🙂

Capture.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Number format issue

HI @KevinHardy ,

Could you please share a bit more about your scenario?

Based on the needs that you mentioned, I think you still also need to apply the Text(ThisItem.Time,"[$-en-US]00:00") formula to format your time value within the Time field Text Box in your Edit form.

I have made a test on my side, please consider take a try with the following workaround:

Set the Default property of the Time field Text box in your Edit form to following:

Text(ThisItem.Time,"[$-en-US]00:00") 

Set the Update property of the Time field data card (which contains the Time Text box) in your Edit form to following:

Value(First(Split(TimeFieldTextBox.Text, ":")).Result) * 100 + Last(Split(TimeFieldTextBox.Text, ":")).Result

Please consider take a try with above solution, then check if the issue is solved.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Hello again @KevinHardy  😺

The reason you are having trouble is a Text Input inside of a form will not accept Text(ThisItem.Time,"[$-en-US]00:00") if the SharePoint column is a number type.  This is because the form wants to ensure only a number is accepted into the SharePoint list once submitted.

In your situation I would recommend a using dropdown instead of a Text Input anyways.  It is better because you can restrict the user input to only times you assign.  It does take a small bit of work but I will give directions below.

First, please take a look at the sample app screenshot.  This is what we are working towards.

Untitled.png

#1  Delete your Text Input within the Time_DataCard (some errors willl appear but don't worry about them yet)

#2  Add a dropdown control to the Time_DataCard with the following properties

Default: Text(ThisItem.Time,"[$-en-US]00:00")

Items: ["00:00","00:30","01:00","01:30","02:00","02:30","03:00","03:30","04:00","04:30","05:00","05:30","06:00","06:30","07:00","07:30","08:00","08:30","09:00","09:30","10:00","10:30","11:00","11:30","12:00","12:30","13:00","13:30","14:00","14:30","15:00","15:30","16:00","16:30","17:00","17:30","18:00","18:30","19:00","19:30","20:00","20:30","21:00",
"21:30","22:00","22:30","23:00","23:30"]

#3  Change the Update property of Time_DataCard to this code

Value(Substitute(Dropdown_Time.Selected.Value,":",""))

#4  Look at the App Checker for any errors caused by Step #1 replacing any references to the original Text Input or deleting the code entirely.

Hopefully you enjoy this approach.  This is the full realization of what I had in mind during my original response.  Let me know.

---
Please click "Accept as Solution" if my post answered your question so that others may find it more quickly. If you found this post helpful consider giving it a "Thumbs Up."

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

HI @KevinHardy ,

Could you please share a bit more about your scenario?

Based on the needs that you mentioned, I think you still also need to apply the Text(ThisItem.Time,"[$-en-US]00:00") formula to format your time value within the Time field Text Box in your Edit form.

I have made a test on my side, please consider take a try with the following workaround:

Set the Default property of the Time field Text box in your Edit form to following:

Text(ThisItem.Time,"[$-en-US]00:00") 

Set the Update property of the Time field data card (which contains the Time Text box) in your Edit form to following:

Value(First(Split(TimeFieldTextBox.Text, ":")).Result) * 100 + Last(Split(TimeFieldTextBox.Text, ":")).Result

Please consider take a try with above solution, then check if the issue is solved.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Resolver I
Resolver I

@mdevaney , Thank you for looking at this, but please forgive me: I saw @v-xida-msft  solution and tried that first (as it required less work 😀) and it has sorted the display issue. But I really appreciate your input. Do you get the link I sent you?

Kev

Highlighted
Resolver I
Resolver I

Thank you @v-xida-msft ,

It solved the issue in a very elegant way 😀

Kev

Highlighted
Resolver I
Resolver I

@mdevaney ,

I'd also been wondering whether it would have been possible to amend the original formula that populated the SP column with 700, 730, 800 by making the column Text rather than a Number and using "07:00","07:30" etc instead?

Kev

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@KevinHardy
Text would have been fine as an option. The reason I chose number is because your original post said you wanted a format of “0000” (with no semi-colon). I thought this was somewhat strange but I decided to take you very literally. Now seeing that you do want a semi-colon text is likely better (although we could even use a Date & Time column SharePoint columns if date is also relevant and formatting only to see the time)

I don’t mind that you used another solution at all. The forums are all about seeing multiple perspectives and using the best one. I am just happy trying to help someone who is working to help others!
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@KevinHardy
I did not receive that link from you. Was it sent to my Private Messages on the forum?
Highlighted
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi @mdevaney 

I thought I had sent it, but it turns out I get the message "You have reached the limit for number of private messages that you can send for now. Please try again later." Even though I haven't sent any other messages :/.  But the link is https://www.autismhampshire.org.uk/

Kev

Highlighted
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi @mdevaney 

I suppose part of the problem is not knowing exactly what you're asking for 😀

The 00:00 didn't occur to me straight away. But we got there in the end.

Kev

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Find your favorite faces from the community presenting at the Power Platform Community Conference!

Watch Now

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,906)