cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

OCR to text account key - what is that?

Hi I am trying to use flow with powerapps to get OCR to text functionality.  While building out in flow, I added the Computer Vision API for the OCR to text, and one of the fields is an account key.  I am not sure what that is.  I am using a trial version of of powerapps, so I am guessing I need a license for the OCR?  Can someone please help.   My canvas app will take a picture I have taken with the phone, and it will convert the numbers in the image into text.  I am trying to go through flow to do it.  If you have other suggestions please advise. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

Re: OCR to text account key - what is that?

Hi @PaulD1,

Just wanted to let you know I was able to figure out what caused that error message in flow.  So turns in the flow history, it shows my failed flows and there is a generic detailed description explaining why it failed.  So error msg was Access denied. You do not have permission to perform this action or access this resource.  I thought I didn't have access to sharepoint, but I see in flow that the connection was made to sharepoint.  So it turned out that I had the Site address wrong.  I was able to find the correct address and it now works.  Hoping you can help me answer these two next questions:

1)  While i was trying to get this to work, I was trying to get it create file within one drive for business or google drive.  So I did get it to work with one drive for business and tried it for at least 5 times, but it started to fail afterwards.  I was getting the following msg, wondering if you know what it means (got the same msg for google drive as well):

Unable to process template language expressions in action 'Create_file_2' inputs at line '1' and column '2092': 'The template language expression 'json(decodeBase64(triggerOutputs().headers['X-MS-APIM-Tokens']))['$connections']['shared_onedriveforbusiness']['connectionId']' cannot be evaluated because property 'shared_onedriveforbusiness' doesn't exist, available properties are 'shared_sharepointonline, shared_cognitiveservicescomputervision'. Please see https://aka.ms/logicexpressions for usage details.'.

2)  Now since I got the ocr to text to work many thanks to you, sometimes it does not seem accurate.  Is there a way to make it more accurate?  and is there a way to use regular expressions or filter, to extract just the part of the text that I want?  

Many thanks again.  I will mark this as solved.  

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
Highlighted
Power Apps
Power Apps

Hi @mahakala_,

AI Builder now offers OCR capabilities in Flow, have a look: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/ai-builder/flow-text-recognition 

Feel free to ask questions as you use it. 

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Hi @mahakala_ 

You will need to create an Azure Subscription (don't worry, you can sign up for free and use the free tier of the Computer Vision API) and create a Computer Vision resource (simple, just a few clicks). This will then give you the Account Key that you need to enter into Flow.

I have a step-by-step video showing how to perform OCR from the camera using the Computer Vision API.

If you save an image with text to a modern SharePoint library, there is a 'hidden' column named MediaServiceOcr that will (eventually) populate with the OCRd text - you don't seem to be able to display the column in SharePoint, but you can in PowerApps and MS Access.

AI Builder is another alternative but (as I understand the license model) very expensive and not required for some simple OCR.

Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

Hi @JoeF-MSFT ,

Thanks.  I will look into this.  Someone else told me in this thread that the text account key is for azure which I don't have.  Would I need to pay additionally for AI builder if I have powerapps canvas already?

Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

Hi @PaulD1,

Thanks for your help.  I will sign up for azure and try the free tier of computer vision API and give it a shot.  I dont have sharepoint, so can i save the images to say onedrive or cds instead?  Do you have vidoes on that, and how do I access your videos?

Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Sorry - forgot to paste in the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXSRKfYqYMM&t=3s 

It is part of a series of videos that also cover how to set up your Azure subscription (very easy, just a few clicks). The free tier of Computer Vision API gives you plenty of free calls per month to experiment with.

Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

Thanks @PaulD1 ,

I will check out your videos.  Unfortunately I am having trouble with my trial account now and can't get back into editing the app.  I will write you back once I get a chance to play with it.

Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

Hi @JoeF-MSFT ,

I finally got my account in working order and tried to follow through the AI Builder as you suggested.  But I was not able to get far.   I got stuck at step 4.  Couldnt find 'Predict - CDS' trigger.  Going through AI Builder is this something I have to pay for, or is it included with canvas?  Do you have any other documentation for this?  I will try to sign up for azure to try their OCR.  

Highlighted
Power Apps
Power Apps

Hi @mahakala_ ,

The predict action is available in Microsoft Flow, but please note that you will need to create the flow inside a solution: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/flow/create-flow-solution

Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

Hi @PaulD1,

I watched your video, including the video to create the azure subscription.  I went the 7 day route.  I set up everything that you had shown in the video, but when I go back to powerapps, it does not see the flow when I click on the button (onselect), action/flows.  Only 'create new flow' appears in the data window.  In flow, it does see that the flow is there.  

Couple things i was not clear on when setting up azure.  There are two keys, I only used key 1.  Then when setting up the OCR in flow, it asked for the key again, and again I entered key 1.  When was I suppose to use Key 2?  As for the url, there are 3 and all three are the same https://westcentralus.api.cognitive.microsoft.com/vision. 

Hope you can help. Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Demo-Extravaganza 2020 Winner Announced

Check it out!

secondImage

Community Highlights

Check out whats happening in Power Apps

secondImage

Community User Group Member Badges

FIll out a quick form to claim your community user group member badge today!

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (11,446)