cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mahakala_
Helper III
Helper III

OCR to text account key - what is that?

Hi I am trying to use flow with powerapps to get OCR to text functionality.  While building out in flow, I added the Computer Vision API for the OCR to text, and one of the fields is an account key.  I am not sure what that is.  I am using a trial version of of powerapps, so I am guessing I need a license for the OCR?  Can someone please help.   My canvas app will take a picture I have taken with the phone, and it will convert the numbers in the image into text.  I am trying to go through flow to do it.  If you have other suggestions please advise. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @PaulD1,

Just wanted to let you know I was able to figure out what caused that error message in flow.  So turns in the flow history, it shows my failed flows and there is a generic detailed description explaining why it failed.  So error msg was Access denied. You do not have permission to perform this action or access this resource.  I thought I didn't have access to sharepoint, but I see in flow that the connection was made to sharepoint.  So it turned out that I had the Site address wrong.  I was able to find the correct address and it now works.  Hoping you can help me answer these two next questions:

1)  While i was trying to get this to work, I was trying to get it create file within one drive for business or google drive.  So I did get it to work with one drive for business and tried it for at least 5 times, but it started to fail afterwards.  I was getting the following msg, wondering if you know what it means (got the same msg for google drive as well):

Unable to process template language expressions in action 'Create_file_2' inputs at line '1' and column '2092': 'The template language expression 'json(decodeBase64(triggerOutputs().headers['X-MS-APIM-Tokens']))['$connections']['shared_onedriveforbusiness']['connectionId']' cannot be evaluated because property 'shared_onedriveforbusiness' doesn't exist, available properties are 'shared_sharepointonline, shared_cognitiveservicescomputervision'. Please see https://aka.ms/logicexpressions for usage details.'.

2)  Now since I got the ocr to text to work many thanks to you, sometimes it does not seem accurate.  Is there a way to make it more accurate?  and is there a way to use regular expressions or filter, to extract just the part of the text that I want?  

Many thanks again.  I will mark this as solved.  

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
JoeF-MSFT
Power Apps
Power Apps

Hi @mahakala_,

AI Builder now offers OCR capabilities in Flow, have a look: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/ai-builder/flow-text-recognition 

Feel free to ask questions as you use it. 

PaulD1
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @mahakala_ 

You will need to create an Azure Subscription (don't worry, you can sign up for free and use the free tier of the Computer Vision API) and create a Computer Vision resource (simple, just a few clicks). This will then give you the Account Key that you need to enter into Flow.

I have a step-by-step video showing how to perform OCR from the camera using the Computer Vision API.

If you save an image with text to a modern SharePoint library, there is a 'hidden' column named MediaServiceOcr that will (eventually) populate with the OCRd text - you don't seem to be able to display the column in SharePoint, but you can in PowerApps and MS Access.

AI Builder is another alternative but (as I understand the license model) very expensive and not required for some simple OCR.

Hi @JoeF-MSFT ,

Thanks.  I will look into this.  Someone else told me in this thread that the text account key is for azure which I don't have.  Would I need to pay additionally for AI builder if I have powerapps canvas already?

Hi @PaulD1,

Thanks for your help.  I will sign up for azure and try the free tier of computer vision API and give it a shot.  I dont have sharepoint, so can i save the images to say onedrive or cds instead?  Do you have vidoes on that, and how do I access your videos?

PaulD1
Community Champion
Community Champion

Sorry - forgot to paste in the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXSRKfYqYMM&t=3s 

It is part of a series of videos that also cover how to set up your Azure subscription (very easy, just a few clicks). The free tier of Computer Vision API gives you plenty of free calls per month to experiment with.

Thanks @PaulD1 ,

I will check out your videos.  Unfortunately I am having trouble with my trial account now and can't get back into editing the app.  I will write you back once I get a chance to play with it.

Hi @JoeF-MSFT ,

I finally got my account in working order and tried to follow through the AI Builder as you suggested.  But I was not able to get far.   I got stuck at step 4.  Couldnt find 'Predict - CDS' trigger.  Going through AI Builder is this something I have to pay for, or is it included with canvas?  Do you have any other documentation for this?  I will try to sign up for azure to try their OCR.  

Hi @mahakala_ ,

The predict action is available in Microsoft Flow, but please note that you will need to create the flow inside a solution: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/flow/create-flow-solution

Hi @PaulD1,

I watched your video, including the video to create the azure subscription.  I went the 7 day route.  I set up everything that you had shown in the video, but when I go back to powerapps, it does not see the flow when I click on the button (onselect), action/flows.  Only 'create new flow' appears in the data window.  In flow, it does see that the flow is there.  

Couple things i was not clear on when setting up azure.  There are two keys, I only used key 1.  Then when setting up the OCR in flow, it asked for the key again, and again I entered key 1.  When was I suppose to use Key 2?  As for the url, there are 3 and all three are the same https://westcentralus.api.cognitive.microsoft.com/vision. 

Hope you can help. Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

Microsoft Build 768x460.png

Microsoft Build is May 24-26. Have you registered yet?

Come together to explore latest innovations in code and application development—and gain insights from experts from around the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,386)