Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
SaWu
Level 8

On Android ComboBox pulldown covers whole screen, first selected tag irritating

Hello.

Please be so kind as to read my full post before responding.
Thank you for your consideration.

I am using ComboBoxes in my PowerApps.
However, those look and behave differently in PowerApps Studio/Maker in the browser in Windows than in the PowerApps App in mobile devices, primarily tested with 2 Android devices.

In PowerApps Studio the ComboBox basically looks like a DropDown:

image.pngDrop down in PowerApps Studioimage.pngCombo box in PowerApps Studio

However, expanding the same ComboBox in the same App on my Android device yields:

PS: Yes, there is a lot of white empty space here from the Android screenshot, because the expanded ComboBox always expands to this whole screen covering size (irrespective of any control property, in particular, the number of items)

image.pngComboBox in PowerApps App on Android, no selection madeimage.pngComboBox in PowerApps App on Android, 2 items were selected before expanding control

I have two issues, questions regarding this:

1. The expanded ComboBox on Android is something else entirely from the Studio experience. My boss told me it's ugly as ...

2. In the screenshots I have circled in red the by default-first-focused-on selection tag. This is displayed using HoverColor/HoverFill (different from Color/Fill or SelectionColor/SelectionFill) to show that it's selected. This allows the ComboBox to be used with a keyboard, to press enter to unselect items, and arrows to navigate, and show where the keyboard navigation is currently at. I understand this.

However, on the mobile device, it is displayed the same way.
    There I find this display of one element in a different color irritating because there is no functional reason to do so unless every mobile device comes with a keyboard or arrow buttons.

Tested with
PowerApp: Modified, 5/28/2019, 5:22:59 PM, PowerApps Relase 3.19052.19

Android: PowerApps App version 3.19052.19

Session ID: 6eca22ea-0e44-4b7d-8a7f-807d958352f5

Thank you,
    Sa.

3 REPLIES 3
RabbyC
Level: Powered On

Re: On Android ComboBox pulldown covers whole screen, first selected tag irritating

Hi SaWu,

I have tested on my devices, and I had not noticed before, but that is also the behaviour I am getting, I think it is by design.

If you change the padding sizes of the combo box, does it change the way it looks at all?

Regards

Rob

SaWu
Level 8

Re: On Android ComboBox pulldown covers whole screen, first selected tag irritating

Hi @RabbyC 

I am aware that this is not a bug but just the current design/implementation of the PowerApps App.
I am complaining about this particular design/implementation.

If I change the padding of the combobox, the shown elements change, but not the overall ugly white drop down.
Here's an example multiplying the left padding with 10 and top padding with 5.
image.png

The items moved to the right and down but the overall thing still covers basically the whole screen.

Greetings,
   Sa.

RabbyC
Level: Powered On

yeah, same, I did read somewhere, they are overhauling the studio and changing a load of stuff in Microsoft Fabric, so fingers crossed, they may fix it, but you're right, it does look amatuerish right now... I dont think there are any work arounds either.

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Apps Super User Class of 2020

Check it out!

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

SecondImage

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,173)