cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hairy_Drumroll
Advocate III
Advocate III

On-Premises Gateway - not appearing in PowerApps after password change, works in Power BI

I have an On-Premises Data Gateway which was behaving last week but this week decided to stop working for PowerApps after I had to change my password.

The Gateway shows as being "online and ready to be used" in the default environment for PowerApps. Gateway version is 3000.14.39 (November 2019).

Through PowerBI the Gateway status appears as "Online: You are good to go."

Through PowerApps, on the "Connections" tab my SQL Servers appear as "Connected".

Capture2.PNG

However, through PowerApps, on the Gateways tab it says "You don't have a gateway installed."

Capture3.PNGWhen I open an app to edit it, for any element that needs to connect to my SQL servers I get a red X and the popup reads "You don't have permission to view this data. Server Response: Credentials are missing or not valid. inner exception: The credentials provided for the SQL source are invalid. (Source at servername;dbname.) clientRequestID: xxx"

The region for the Gateway was set to Southeast Asia, although I'm not sure how to check the region of the PowerApps Environment. The environment name does have "(Upgrade)" after it, not sure if this makes a difference.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Gateway, but now I'm at a loss! I can't edit the existing SQL table connections because they won't save the new password without selecting a Gateway. I can't add a new SQL table because it won't save the connection without selecting a Gateway.

The plans showing in PowerApps for me are "PowerApps for Office 365", "PowerApps Trial", "PowerApps P2 Free Trial".

I'm not sure what to try next, any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hairy_Drumroll
Advocate III
Advocate III

It was a mis-alignment of the Gateway region (was set to Southeast Asia) and the Environment (seems to be set to Australia East).

Presumably the change of password just happened to align with when either the Gateway or Environment region changed?

This is how I figured it out, maybe this process will help someone else in the future:

Because I couldn't see what region the Environment was set as I first tried creating my own Environment in the Admin Centre with the region set to SE Asia and I uninstalled / reinstalled the Gateway with the region set to SE Asia. I could then see that the existing Gateway appeared as expected. So now I know it's not a licensing issue.

But that didn't really fix the problem as all of the existing apps were in the original Environment and I don't want to move them across to the new Environment.

So I uninstalled / reinstalled the Gateway again and configured the re-installation with the region set to Australia East. Australia East was a guess as I couldn't see what region the corporate Environment was set to, turns out I was right.

The re-installation gave me warnings about the region not being the recommended region, but that's tomorrows problem.

With the Gateway set to Australia East I could once again use all of the SQL Server connections in my apps.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-yutliu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Hairy_Drumroll ,

Firstly, please check whether your PowerApps P2 Free Trial expired.

Because other licenses that you listed all do not have access to use gateway in PowerApps.

Only PowerApps P2 Free Trial has access to use gateway in PowerApps.

This plan will expires after 30 days. 

Secondly, I suggest you delete the connection with SQL Server. The original connection may save the original password, which may lead to this problem.

Please try to recreate connection with SQL Server.

If the the problem still exists, please try to clear the browser's cache, which may save original password too.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Phoebe Liu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

How do I check if it has expired? Wouldn't I have received an email warning of this? This is probably it, but none of the error messages have suggested that was the problem.

I did try creating a new connection, no joy.

Hairy_Drumroll
Advocate III
Advocate III

It was a mis-alignment of the Gateway region (was set to Southeast Asia) and the Environment (seems to be set to Australia East).

Presumably the change of password just happened to align with when either the Gateway or Environment region changed?

This is how I figured it out, maybe this process will help someone else in the future:

Because I couldn't see what region the Environment was set as I first tried creating my own Environment in the Admin Centre with the region set to SE Asia and I uninstalled / reinstalled the Gateway with the region set to SE Asia. I could then see that the existing Gateway appeared as expected. So now I know it's not a licensing issue.

But that didn't really fix the problem as all of the existing apps were in the original Environment and I don't want to move them across to the new Environment.

So I uninstalled / reinstalled the Gateway again and configured the re-installation with the region set to Australia East. Australia East was a guess as I couldn't see what region the corporate Environment was set to, turns out I was right.

The re-installation gave me warnings about the region not being the recommended region, but that's tomorrows problem.

With the Gateway set to Australia East I could once again use all of the SQL Server connections in my apps.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

Power Apps Community Call

Monthly Power Apps Community Call

Did you miss the call?? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here!

secondImage

Experience what’s next for Power Apps

See the latest Power Apps innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Power Platform ISV STudio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage applications post-AppSource publish.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (46,382)