Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

OnChange dropdown navigation issue

Hello,

Screen 1:

I have two dropdowns:
Company Name, and Company Branch.

Screen 2:

The gallery that will filter based on what's selected.

I have assigned onChange property of the dropdown Company Branch to navigate the user to screen 2.

The issue is as follow:

When the user selects the FIRST value from the Company Branch nothing happens which means it doesn't navigate the user to screen 2.

But let's say, I have selected the second value I will be redirected and if I get back to select the First value also it will work.

Assume a company has only one branch so if he selects the branch he will not be redirected.

I was thinking to set a default blank value "" to the dropdown so starting from the second it will show the branches. But how this can be done?

Please find below the assigned functions for the Company Branch:

Items:

Filter('Companies Branches', CompanyName = DataCardValue8.Selected.'Company Name').Branch

OnChange:

Navigate(Visits,ScreenTransition.Cover);

I am trying to find a solution to redirect the user even if the dropdown contains only one value.

Please find below a demo:

Demo.gif

Can please someone explain in detail and provides an example to achieve the above scenario?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Julien. 

You make local collection because its easy to add a new temporary item for this list. 

You said you want to make a OnChange code where the app navigate to another screen. But if you only have one Branch, the user will not be able to change this, thus the onChange will not run. 

To do this you had a plan to add a blank value as default on Branch so the user must change the dropdown. (sounds like a plan :)). 

To get this blank value you need it in the source of the items of the dropdown. If you dont have many branches, I would recomend to load all of them in a local collection in OnStart. You can also make it on change on the company dropdown. 

If you make it on onStart (all branches) Items in the branch dropdown must be filter(_Brances;comapny=dopanydropdown.selected.companyName). 

If you make it in OnChange you can do ClearCollect(_Branches;filter(_Brances;comapny=dopanydropdown.selected.companyName)). 

To get the "blank" option (or you can make a input help tekst for the user as this option like "Choose branch" as a choice. )
To get this in you collection, you use Collect(_Branches;{companyName:Blank() (or "Choose branch").

One Example:
I made 2 SP list for this example

If you refer to the list direct you will get dropdown like this: (Please note i used listbox for better to show how its done. 

DropDownsDirect.png

To get a blank choice (or with some text, I used "<select branch>"
Run this code in OnChange on the Company dropdown

ClearCollect(
    _Branch;
    Filter(
        Branch;companyID=ListBox1.Selected.ID
    )
);;

Collect(
    _Branch;
    {
        ID:0;
        Title:"<Choose Branch>";
        companyID:ListBox1.Selected.ID
    }
)

And you will get dropdown box like this:
LocalBranch2.png

The user should now see the default with a message that he/she needs to choose a Branch. 

Now you can have a OnChange code on the Branch Dropdown that sends the user to the right screen. 

In general I will always recommend to first collect all you data into collections i powerapps and use the local collection as data. This is much faster than directly working with the lists. You need to add som update / refresh if you have a system with multiple users where changes occur often, but that is minor compare to the speed you gain. (Of course, if its a very simple app with 2-5 list, you might not get much of the speed, but bigger app is about useless when working directly with lists. 

I hope this was a bit clearer 🙂

Best regards

Tommy

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
TurboTape
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi Julien2

Start making a local collection of your branches

ClearCollect(
_companiesBraches(
Filter(
'Companies Branches';
CopanyName=DataCardValue8.Selected.'Company name')
)
)

Collect(
_companiesBranches(
{
'Company Name':Blank()
}
)

Change your items to the local collection and default to "" or Blank()

Good luck 🙂

Tommy

Hi @TurboTape ,

Thanks for your reply.

Where do I have to initialize the local collection(because on the Items property of the dropdown I get an error)?

Regarding the Collect, you mentioned why are you assigning the Company Name column to be blank?

Could you please provide a real example?

Looking forward to your response.

Hi Julien. 

You make local collection because its easy to add a new temporary item for this list. 

You said you want to make a OnChange code where the app navigate to another screen. But if you only have one Branch, the user will not be able to change this, thus the onChange will not run. 

To do this you had a plan to add a blank value as default on Branch so the user must change the dropdown. (sounds like a plan :)). 

To get this blank value you need it in the source of the items of the dropdown. If you dont have many branches, I would recomend to load all of them in a local collection in OnStart. You can also make it on change on the company dropdown. 

If you make it on onStart (all branches) Items in the branch dropdown must be filter(_Brances;comapny=dopanydropdown.selected.companyName). 

If you make it in OnChange you can do ClearCollect(_Branches;filter(_Brances;comapny=dopanydropdown.selected.companyName)). 

To get the "blank" option (or you can make a input help tekst for the user as this option like "Choose branch" as a choice. )
To get this in you collection, you use Collect(_Branches;{companyName:Blank() (or "Choose branch").

One Example:
I made 2 SP list for this example

If you refer to the list direct you will get dropdown like this: (Please note i used listbox for better to show how its done. 

DropDownsDirect.png

To get a blank choice (or with some text, I used "<select branch>"
Run this code in OnChange on the Company dropdown

ClearCollect(
    _Branch;
    Filter(
        Branch;companyID=ListBox1.Selected.ID
    )
);;

Collect(
    _Branch;
    {
        ID:0;
        Title:"<Choose Branch>";
        companyID:ListBox1.Selected.ID
    }
)

And you will get dropdown box like this:
LocalBranch2.png

The user should now see the default with a message that he/she needs to choose a Branch. 

Now you can have a OnChange code on the Branch Dropdown that sends the user to the right screen. 

In general I will always recommend to first collect all you data into collections i powerapps and use the local collection as data. This is much faster than directly working with the lists. You need to add som update / refresh if you have a system with multiple users where changes occur often, but that is minor compare to the speed you gain. (Of course, if its a very simple app with 2-5 list, you might not get much of the speed, but bigger app is about useless when working directly with lists. 

I hope this was a bit clearer 🙂

Best regards

Tommy

Hi @TurboTape ,

It was clear. Thank you for a such detailed reply.

Regards,
Julien

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Power Platform Call June 2022 768x460.png

Power Platform Community Call

Join us for the next call on June 15, 2022 at 8am PDT.

PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

PA.JPG

New Release Planning Portal (Preview)

Check out our new release planning portal, an interactive way to plan and prepare for upcoming features in Power Platform.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,843)