cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DaveConnors

OnStart isn’t available

I am trying to retrieve a parameter using OnStart to achieve deep linking.

I’ve created a blank canvas app.

When I navigate to “App” and check the dropdown OnStart isn’t an option. Is there some setting or permission I need to make this available, otherwise I can’t create the app properly.

Why wouldn’t it appear - I’ve seen numerous tutorials and videos with it but in my app it simply isn’t there. The ellipsis next to the App menu item shows the run OnStart option - nothing happens which seems right since i haven’t been able to set anything - but there is no way I can actually get into OnStart to set anything.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
timl
Super User III
Super User III

@DaveConnors 

There appears to be a bug in the designer here.

When I click the app node, OnMessage is the property that appears in the top left navigation bar. OnStart is missing, which makes it impossible to set the OnStart formula.

timl_0-1621072280906.png

The version of Power Apps I'm using is 3.21051.17, and the problem happens for me in both Chrome and Edge.

It wasn't possible to switch the designer version through the accounts menu, but I was able to revert to an earlier version by starting the designer using the following link:

timl_1-1621072669819.png

This resolved the problem, so I would try the link above to see if that makes a difference.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
WarrenBelz
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @DaveConnors ,

I assume this is a Canvas App - mine looks like this

WarrenBelz_0-1621069479673.png

timl
Super User III
Super User III

@DaveConnors 

There appears to be a bug in the designer here.

When I click the app node, OnMessage is the property that appears in the top left navigation bar. OnStart is missing, which makes it impossible to set the OnStart formula.

timl_0-1621072280906.png

The version of Power Apps I'm using is 3.21051.17, and the problem happens for me in both Chrome and Edge.

It wasn't possible to switch the designer version through the accounts menu, but I was able to revert to an earlier version by starting the designer using the following link:

timl_1-1621072669819.png

This resolved the problem, so I would try the link above to see if that makes a difference.

View solution in original post

Thanks @timl - I thought I was going mad, or was completely stupid!

Yep, the old link works and I see OnStart now - much appreciated.

timl
Super User III
Super User III

Thanks @DaveConnors - I'm glad this fix worked for you too. This is obviously a bug, and hopefully Microsoft will fix this very soon.

@timl absolute sanity saver... I was watching all these tutorial videos and thinking "what's going on? how am i this stupid I can't find it??" 😀

timl
Super User III
Super User III

@DaveConnors - I completely get how confusing that would be!

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

Power Query PA Forum 768x460.png

Check it out!

Did you know that you can visit the Power Query Forum in Power BI and now Power Apps

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,280)