cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
codebrane
Level 8

OnVisible and control defaults don''t appear to do anything

I'm curious why OnVisible seems so variable in its operation. I have this in the screen's OnVisible:

UpdateContext({showPasswordBox:false, showBackButton:true})

The PasswordBox is visible and the BackButton is invisible. I can sort of change them by changing the above true/false and they appear/disappear in the designer (sometimes) but they never match what's in OnVisible at run time.

The other issue is the default value for the Toggle. It's whatever it was when the screen was closed so it's not possible to start the screen as it should be each time as it remembers where it was before. This is when running the screen from the designer. So it's not possible to test the screen as there doesn't seem to be a way to "reset" it. It all seems to be linked to the screen's OnVisible not overriding the other controls. The Toggle leaves showPasswordBox = true when the screen exits and OnVisible fails to set it back to false.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Rick72
Level 10

Re: OnVisible and control defaults don''t appear to do anything

Hi @codebrane,

The OnVisible is not triggered when you stay in the same screen. Switch to another screen and back again to trigger it. I sometimes temporay add a second screen just for this.

Robot Happy Rick

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
codebrane
Level 8

I think perhaps it may be down to not being able to test a PowerApp screen in isolation. The screen gets passed in a variable from a previous screen which it has to display but when running the screen direct from the designer nothing really works. The flow is all wrong, UpdateContext doesn't work, the Reset property of controls doesn't work. When accessing the screen from the previous screen it appears to work fine. So I suspect you can't test screens that are being passed variables in the context. In this case the screen expects a 'student' object obtained from the DataSource and displays student.id. I suspect this might be causing an NPE in the background and causing the screen to fail completely but that's just the programmer thinking out loud!

Rick72
Level 10

Hi @codebrane,

The OnVisible is not triggered when you stay in the same screen. Switch to another screen and back again to trigger it. I sometimes temporay add a second screen just for this.

Robot Happy Rick

View solution in original post

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @codebrane,

By "the screen exits", did you mean exit the whole app, or just exit the play mode to go to edit mode, or navigate to another screen? 

Only on the 2nd situation, the UpdateContext won't run. With the 1st one, the variable would be deleted in the app and would create one next time you load the app. The 3rd one should update the status of these 2 variables when you change them and then navigate back to the screen.

Notice that Context variables are scoped to a screen, which means that you can't build a formula that refers to a context variable on another screen. 

PowerApps are based on formulas that automatically recalculate as the user interacts with an app. Context variables don't offer this benefit and can make your app harder to create and understand. Before you use a context variable, review working with variables.

Regards,

Mona

Community Support Team _ Mona Li
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
codebrane
Level 8

yes I think Rick72 has it. I think it's a combination of that and the fact UpdateContext is expecting a varable passed in from a previous screen which is an entry from a DataSource. There are other, very simple scoped variables being set by UpdateContext but I suspect when it fails to find the DataSource variable it 'crashes' and won't do anything else, such as create those locally scoped variables. Is this a bug? I would expect in a no-code framework not to have to think about NPEs but that's what it looks like.

Alistair

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

SecondImage

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,799)