cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stumac_31
Helper III
Helper III

One dropdown list drawn from multiple tables

I have created an app from Excel stored in OneDrive. I would like my dropdown in powerapps to include values from multiple excel tables as these are continually updated. Anyway to draw multiple tables into a single dropdown box?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Couldn't get your idea working.

But think I have found a better way to do what I need to do. Using queries in Excel I'm able to append tables and filter out projects which have finished.

Get data>combine queries>append

This creates a new table in excel, which I have added as a data source to Powerapps, but for some reason, the dropdown is not populating with the options. Is this type of table treated any differently by Powerapps?

In the attached the top table is linked to my combined query table (Append1), while the lower tables are connected to another table (Contracts) which is not derived from a query.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Jeff_Thorpe
Super User
Super User

You could create a collection and then add the drop down values from all three tables to the collection. Then you could use the collection in your actual drop down.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.
Shanescows
Super User
Super User

I made a video on exactly this. 🙂 

PowerApps multiple data sources

Shane - Microsoft MVP, YouTube, and PowerApps Consulting for when you are in a bind to get this fixed quickly. And finally we now have PowerApps Training

Hi @Shanescows

The web link is not working but I'm assuming you mean this video:

https://youtu.be/fqH1U0_TanI

Your videos have helped me get to the point I'm at now! but (if the above is the right video) I dont think this answers my question.

I want a single dropdown control which references multiple tables. So using your video example, the singular dropdown list would include departments and colours as options choices..

Shanescows
Super User
Super User

Ah. Got it. So I think you will need to make a collection that has all the choices you want and then use that new dropdown in the collection. I have never tried but that is where I would start. I am out of the office today so I am not much help today. Sorry
Shane - Microsoft MVP, YouTube, and PowerApps Consulting for when you are in a bind to get this fixed quickly. And finally we now have PowerApps Training

@Shanescows @Jeff_Thorpe

Would it be simpler to create a table of tables in Excel with something like this: 

https://productforums.google.com/forum/?noredirect=true#!topic/docs/Q25WBZEITj8

The tables are dynamic and constantly change.

Guess I would ask what you mean by the tables are always changing? like the structure/columns in the table are changing all the time or just the data?

stumac_31
Helper III
Helper III

New rows added, structures remain constant

Then I think I am back to my orginal idea of making one collection in your PowerApp that combines the column you need from both data sources into one column. 

stumac_31
Helper III
Helper III

Will this cover it?

https://youtu.be/yS6mTRlmuls

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,789)