cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NewNW
Level: Powered On

Open OneNote page in PowerApps

Hi All,

can some on eplease tell me is it possibl eto open Onenote page on powerApp canvas. as follows , would like to open following screen/page on powerapp canvas. So after taking the photo user will be able to mark on it and save back to sharepoint list as an attachment. 

powerapps.png

Thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Open OneNote page in PowerApps

@NewNW 

Hmmm, not sure on that last question.  I've never tried that.

But, if you are capturing the entire OneNote page, it would be static at that point, so I am wondering about the use/need for OneNote in this scenario - since OneNote is a ever changing notebook scenario.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Super User
Super User

@NewNW 

You will not be able to open that within the PowerApps screen (i.e. as a component of the App), but you can use the link to the OneNote page to Launch the OneNote app, or bring it up in a browser.  From there the user can annotate and make changes.

I hope that is helpful for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @NewNW ,

Do you want to display your OneNote page within a PowerApps app?

Based on the needs that you mentioned, I have made a test on my side, I think the combination of PowerApps and Microsoft Flow could achieve your needs.

Note: Actually, the content of the OneNote Page is a HTML content. So within PowerApps, we could use the Html Text control to display it.

I have made a test on my side, please take a try with the following workaround:

Flow's configuration as below:3.JPG

My App's configuration as below:4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

Add three Dropdown controls within your app, set the Items property of the Dropdown1 to following:

'OneNote(Business)'.GetNotebooks()

set the Items property of the Dropdown2 to following:

'OneNote(Business)'.GetSectionsInNotebook(Dropdown1.Selected.Key).value

set the Items property of the Dropdown3 to following:

'OneNote(Business)'.GetPagesInSection(Dropdown1.Selected.Key, Dropdown2.Selected.pagesUrl).value

Add a "Fire Flow" button, set the OnSelect property to following:

Set(
PageContent,
'20190514_case2'.Run(Dropdown1.Selected.Key, Dropdown2.Selected.pagesUrl, Dropdown3.Selected.contentUrl).htmlcontent
)

On your side, you should type:

Set(
    PageContent,
    'YourFlowName'.Run(Dropdown1.Selected.Key, Dropdown2.Selected.pagesUrl, Dropdown3.Selected.contentUrl).htmlcontent
)

Add a Html Text control, set the HtmlText property to following:

PageContent

Note: If you want to fire a flow from your app, you need to create corresponding flow connection within your app firstly.

More details about string/firing a flow from a PowerApps app, please check the following article or video:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/maker/canvas-apps/using-logic-flows

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wl9AtxWdkg

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
NewNW

Thanks .

I m currently replicating your steps , get back to you soon. 

Thanks for the help. 

NewNW

Hi ,

I have set up exactly the way you have mentioned, but I m getting following error , coul dyou please tell me why is it?

error.png

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @NewNW ,

Could you please share a bit more about your flow's configuration?

Based on the error message that you mentioned, it seems to tell that there is something wrong with your flow rather than PowerApps.

Please check if you have passed proper data from your app for the Notebook key, Notebook section and Page id field within the "Get page content" action in youe flow.

Within your app, please make sure you have provided proper values for these arguments of the 'xxx'.Run() function individually.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
NewNW

Hi,

Thank you very much for your help. Now I can read from Onenote, but see any images from onenote wont display on the app, but I can see text ( see the text below two images, its from the Onenote)

Can you please tell me how can I display image properly.

screen.png

Super User
Super User

@NewNW 

You cannot currently display Images in an HtmlText control. 

As mentioned in my earlier post, the functionality of being able to have a photo, mark it up and then store it back as an attachment is not something you are going to be able to do successfully in PowerApps.

I would set focus on what will work for you rather than road you were guided down where you're starting to see the dead-ends.

Some options are:

1) Use OneNote for the functionality that it will provide.  Then utilize Flow to grab and store the information as an attachment that you need.

2) I don't know your specifics for "user will be able to mark on it" - if this means pen/stylus or text?  You could create an overlay scenario.  Store the Photo as is, then overlay a pen input or a textbox on the photo.  Capture the information entered in that.  Any time you want to see the photo and markup, just have an image and the overlay.  The two would not be flattened into a single image (maybe this is a good thing...keep the original as original).

From your original post, I'm not sure that you are utilizing OneNote for anything other than the ability to have markup on a photo.  So, if that is the case, then the #2 above would be a good solution.  If you are actually using OneNote as a notebook, then do so, and perhaps instead of trying to make it an attachment, simply store the link to the OneNote notebook page.

Just some thoughts, but I hate to watch you going down this path that will not get you where you want.

NewNW

Thank you very much Randy.

Yes you are correct if the tool doesnt support i think the best think is to go with your second suggestion or allow user to attached from their mobile photo gallery, so then that can take a photo first and then mark using any application and then attached as an image.

Are there any way to attached OneNote page as an attachment with the record? not a link only.

Super User
Super User

@NewNW 

Hmmm, not sure on that last question.  I've never tried that.

But, if you are capturing the entire OneNote page, it would be static at that point, so I am wondering about the use/need for OneNote in this scenario - since OneNote is a ever changing notebook scenario.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Apps Super User Class of 2020

Check it out!

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

SecondImage

Difinity Conference

The largest Power BI, Power Platform, and Data conference in New Zealand

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,121)