cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
07GT
Frequent Visitor

Open excel sheet to edit CDS table with a button in powerapps.

Hi everyone,

This may be a bit out there, but I'm looking for a way to have a user press a button in a powerapps app and it'll open the excel file used to edit a specific CDS table. 

I can do this manually by visiting the CDS table page in a browser and clicking on the button below. Is there a way to do this automatically? A specific URL maybe?

CDS.jpg

8 REPLIES 8
v-jefferni
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @07GT ,

Could you please share more details about your scenario? 

That "Edit data in Excel" button would normally used to edit original data of a table, when having a dataset  immigrate to CDS, or creating a set of data for test, etc. If you would like users to edit dynamical data to CDS, I suppose that people would prefer achieving that through a PowerApps App. 

So, more details would be appreciate to understand your scenario.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Jeffer Ni
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

07GT
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your reply @v-jefferni

Here's the scenario: The powerapps app is a record keeping tool for treating different lots of seeds. The app allows a user to input different treatment rates for individual lots of seed, and then another user can view the rates and perform the appropriate treatment. These treatment rates are stored in a CDS table. Very simply its a column with the seed lot name and a column with the treatment rate. 

Given its a single user entering these treatment rates, and they get updated once a year, I thought giving this user access to the spreadsheet would be faster than manually entering rates through the powerapps app. The app has bulk entry options built in already, but I want to make it as easy as possible for this user who is quite comfortable using spreadsheets. As our company transitions from record keeping in Excel to record keeping through apps and databases, I'm trying to balance the familiar with the new. 

I'd imagine there's probably no easy way to do this? If not I will simply add a button in the app which navigates the user to the CDS webpage and they can click on the button themselves, if they prefer to edit in excel. 

I hope that gives you a clearer picture of what I'm after!

Thanks

v-jefferni
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @07GT ,

Thank you for the explanation and yes, there is no easy way to make it. You could temporarily use that work around to "balance" two input methods, but I would recommend that after a few days' adaptation of the adjustment, to ensure data accuracy, users would better work on the same platform.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Community Support Team _ Jeffer Ni
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it.

@07GT 

IMHO, Allowing users to edit.the backend of an app makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. A single user could alter the app and make it nonfunctional. 

07GT
Frequent Visitor

@Drrickryp  I agree with your opinion. Users with access to the back end is generally not a good practice to follow and I wouldn't typically allow it, except within a controlled case such as this one with a single user I trust. What I appreciate about Powerapps and this whole power platform is the flexibility it offers to create custom products that work for those who use it. And if those users are capable and can be more efficient in their work by having access to the back end, then in this case I'd say allowing them access is a win.

(I also have lots to learn re the power platform so I do appreciate your response!)

@07GT 

My suggestion would be to create a Model driven app based on the same tables as your canvas apps and give the one trusted person access to it.  From there is quite easy to modify the data in the tables with a button click and it is part of the interface.  I typically create my canvas apps for users but create a model driven app for myself as the administrator and do not give access to the users to it.

07GT
Frequent Visitor

Thats a great idea, i'll check it out. Thanks!

@07GT 

They call me a paranoid schizophrenic but it hasn't stopped people from plotting against me.eyeroll.gif

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

secondImage

Are Your Ready?

Test your skills now with the Cloud Skill Challenge.

secondImage

Demo Extravaganza is Back!

We are excited to announce that Demo Extravaganza for 2021 has started!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (45,481)