cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resolver I
Resolver I

Parent.Default retains a default value from a form submission. Is it possible to make the parent.default reset after form submission?

Hello all, 

I am facing an issue where some data Cards (Format: text; Mode: multiline) retain default value from a form submission.

For example, "test123" is entered in the datacard and uploaded to the Sharepoint list. However, the same text "test123" appears in the datacard, when the new Power App form is initiated. Default value this datacard is set to Parent.Default. Attached the screenshot that shows how parent.default value in some Text datacards is 'none' while in other datacards, parent.default already has a predefined value.

So far, the only explanation I have found is that when you customize a SharePoint list form with PowerApps, datacards (Multiline, Text) will show data that are in the first row of your SharePoint list. The solution would be that the first row in the SP list is left blank..

I have tried to use isBlank (parent.default) when the new form is initiated, with the following function:

default = If(GeneralReview.Mode = FormMode.New, IsBlank(Parent.Default)). This formula, however, always, shows false for me..

Perhaps someone had a similar issue and could advice? Would sincerely appreciate any help!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Re: Parent.Default retains a default value from a form submission. Is it possible to make the parent.default reset after form submission?

Hi @mantastg08876,

Just change your formula as below that should fix your issue.

default = If(GeneralReview.Mode = FormMode.New, Blank())

I hope this resolved your issue if you see any challenge/need further help let me know I am always happy to help.

Regards,
Krishna
If this post helps give a 👍and if it solved your issue consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more.

I hope this resolved your issue if you see any challenge/need further help please let me know I am always happy to do it for my community.

Proud to be a Super User!

Regards,
KrishnaV
If this post helps you give a 👍 and if it solved your issue consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members / new members of the community.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Parent.Default retains a default value from a form submission. Is it possible to make the parent.default reset after form submission?

Hi @mantastg08876 ,

What is the OnNew property of SharePointIntegration?

If you want to create a new record, the OnNew property must be NewForm(SharePointForm1). Then the Form turns to New Mode and all field values show blank. This is the mechanism of the Form control.

Please go to check the OnNew property, and clear the browser cache to see if the issue is fixed.

If the issue still exists, that could be some integration error between SharePoint and PowerApps, please share more details about your issue so that we can reproduce it.

Hope this helps.

Sik

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @mantastg08876,

Just change your formula as below that should fix your issue.

default = If(GeneralReview.Mode = FormMode.New, Blank())

I hope this resolved your issue if you see any challenge/need further help let me know I am always happy to help.

Regards,
Krishna
If this post helps give a 👍and if it solved your issue consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more.

I hope this resolved your issue if you see any challenge/need further help please let me know I am always happy to do it for my community.

Regards,
KrishnaV
If this post helps you give a 👍 and if it solved your issue consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members / new members of the community.

Highlighted
Resolver I
Resolver I

@KrishnaV , 

Thank you! After i enter that function, the error is shown that this data type is not supported for evaluation.. perhaps there is something else to be changed?

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @mantastg08876 ,

I believe you are setting this formula to textbox / multiline control:

default = If(FormMode.New=1,Blank(), Parent.Default)

See the below working model:
text default value.gif

Regards,
Krishna
If this post helps give a 👍 and if it solved your issue consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more.

Regards,
KrishnaV
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @mantastg08876 ,

I am looking to see a followup on the issue you are experiencing.

If you see any challenge/need further help let me know I am always happy to help.

Regards,
Krishna
If this post helps give a 👍 and if it solved your issue consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more.

Regards,
KrishnaV
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mantastg08876 ,

What is the OnNew property of SharePointIntegration?

If you want to create a new record, the OnNew property must be NewForm(SharePointForm1). Then the Form turns to New Mode and all field values show blank. This is the mechanism of the Form control.

Please go to check the OnNew property, and clear the browser cache to see if the issue is fixed.

If the issue still exists, that could be some integration error between SharePoint and PowerApps, please share more details about your issue so that we can reproduce it.

Hope this helps.

Sik

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @mantastg08876 ,

I am assuming that you have taken care of the setting which @v-siky-msft has mentioned if not this is the place you could see that property in Power Apps. But to best my knowledge that will come by default as Newform(SharePointForm1) unless someone explicitly changes that.

NewForm in SharePoint.png

Regards,
Krishna

Regards,
KrishnaV
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @mantastg08876,

I just noticed that you liked one of my replies, wanted to is the issue resolved, or anything else I can help you further.

If you see any challenge/need further help let me know I am always happy to help.

Regards,
Krishna

Regards,
KrishnaV
Highlighted
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi @v-siky-msft , 

Thank you for your suggestion! I've changed OnNew to = NewForm(Engagement_INFO; Engagement_DESCR;Engagement_client;GeneralReview), as I have 4 forms.

However, does this impact how forms are saved and stored in the SharePoint list? Having changed the OnNew formula, our data in the respective forms are not saved in the SharePoint list?

Our other settings are:
OnEdit = EditForm(Engagement_INFO; Engagement_DESCR;Engagement_client; GeneralReview)

OnSave = SubmitForm(Engagement_INFO);
SubmitForm(Engagement_client);
SubmitForm(Engagement_DESCR);
SubmitForm(GeneralReview)

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @mantastg08876,

This will only change the behavior of the forms, not the data being or already saved in the list. Going forward when you open the new form it will not carry any old values which you were experiencing in the past.

Regards,
Krishna

Regards,
KrishnaV

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

secondImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

Tech Marathon

Maratón de Soluciones de Negocio Microsoft

Una semana de contenido con +100 sesiones educativas, consultorios, +10 workshops Premium, Hackaton, EXPO, Networking Hall y mucho más!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (9,075)