cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mseto
Helper I
Helper I

Parsing JSON within a single field from SharePoint

If I have a SharePoint field which contains multiple key/value pairs in JSON format, does PowerApps have the native capability to be able to parse values from that field? Ideally, I'd like to be able to do this ::

SharePoint Field value ::

{
"name": "michael",
"title": "cloud wiz"
}

PowerApps Labels ::

Label1.Text = "Name: " & ParseJson(SharePointField.name)
Label2.Text = "Title: " & ParseJson(SharePointField.title)

Thanks for your help!

2 REPLIES 2
RezaDorrani
Dual Super User II
Dual Super User II

Hi @mseto 

Currently there is no JSON parsing action in Power Apps.

You would have to use string manipulation to get your data.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this post helps answer your question, please click on “Accept as Solution” to help other members find it more quickly. If you thought this post was helpful, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Thanks,
Reza Dorrani, MVP
YouTube
Twitter

Hi Reza,

Would you go into string manipulation a bit further? I am trying to track application onboarding activities which get tracked in SharePoint but rendered in PowerApps. For example, a user needs to have a consult with IT Compliance, and this item is tracked in Azure DevOps. We are thinking to use a Flow to track when the Azure DevOps item is 'Completed', then it will either be automatically updated in SharePoint or manually updated. Several things need to be tracked so we are thinking to use a single field with JSON to be parsed by PowerApps, instead of adding a bunch of additional fields to track activities such as the one mentioned above separately (to avoid adding a duplicate set of fields just to track.) So that's when we got the idea to use a single field and parse JSON.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

This training provides practical hands-on experience in creating Power Apps solutions in a full-day of instructor-led App creation workshop.

Microsoft Build 768x460.png

Microsoft Build is May 24-26. Have you registered yet?

Come together to explore latest innovations in code and application development—and gain insights from experts from around the world.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

What difference can a User Group make for you?

At the monthly call, connect with other leaders and find out how community makes your experience even better.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,351)