cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
emfuentes27
Super User
Super User

Pass component output to App global variable

I created a navigation menu using galleries, and it works just fine. The gallery items are fed from a table. This is just a sample:

Table(
    {
        Agency: "AA",
        ItemType: "AA Tracking",
        Icon: Icon.AddDocument,
        SubMenuTitle: "New Request",
        Screen: App.ActiveScreen,
        SubMenuIcon: Icon.Add,
        formType: "New"
    },
    {
        Agency: "BB",
        ItemType: "BB Tracking",
        Icon: Icon.AddDocument,
        SubMenuTitle: "Email Office",
        Screen: App.ActiveScreen,
        SubMenuIcon: Icon.Mail,
        formType: "Edit"
    },....)

When I click on one of the galley items (a button), I create a variable:

Set(theFormType,ThisItem.formType );Navigate(ThisItem.Screen);

The output property FormTypeOut is assigned that value:

Annotation 2021-07-13 164159.jpg

I add my component to the App' screen. I can create a label, and make set the text to that component output (multiNav_1.FormTypeOut), and it works just fine also. The thing is that I don't know how to pass that output to a global variable instead of just a text. When I click on the navigation items depending what I chose it'll open a form either in New mode or Edit mode, and I don't know how to set a variable when I click on the component that has been added to the screen. I feel like I'm missing something very simple somewhere.

thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-bofeng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @emfuentes27 :

The key is that the "global variable" created in a component is not a real global variable, it can only take effect as a local variable in the current component.

If you want to save the result of multiNav_1.FormTypeOut to a variable, then I suggest you consider other alternatives.For example:

Because once the button in this custom component is triggered, your App will be navigated to other screens, so you can consider setting the OnVisible property of these screens to:

Set(Thevariable,multiNav_1.FormTypeOut)

If you do this, whenever you switch to another screen, the OnVisible event of this screen will be triggered and the value of multiNav_1.FormTypeOut will be saved into the variable "Thevariable".

Best Regards,

Bof

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-bofeng-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @emfuentes27 :

The key is that the "global variable" created in a component is not a real global variable, it can only take effect as a local variable in the current component.

If you want to save the result of multiNav_1.FormTypeOut to a variable, then I suggest you consider other alternatives.For example:

Because once the button in this custom component is triggered, your App will be navigated to other screens, so you can consider setting the OnVisible property of these screens to:

Set(Thevariable,multiNav_1.FormTypeOut)

If you do this, whenever you switch to another screen, the OnVisible event of this screen will be triggered and the value of multiNav_1.FormTypeOut will be saved into the variable "Thevariable".

Best Regards,

Bof

emfuentes27
Super User
Super User

Thanks. I thought about the onVisible option yesterday, but I was hopping something more "elegant". I guess that's the Microsoft way.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,950)