Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AdityaDani
Helper I
Helper I

Patch a Multi Select Choice type column in SharePoint List from Power app

Hi fam,

I have an Edit Form named : 'Add/EditForm' , Data source for this is 'AppList'. So when i submit this the data is perfectly getting submitted to AppList.

IMG_6184.jpg

Above image is the form which submits the data to AppList.

In this form i have  a combo box(CAS Depedency Apps). The data source for this combo box is a different SharePoint List = "App_Name_List".

My requirement is to save whatever Text user enters in Application Name Text Box to be available for the user to select from the combo box dropdown.

For this i am using a Patch function for the OnSelect property of the save button like this : 

IMG_6185.jpg

"App_Name_List" is the Data Source for the CAS Dependency Combo Box , and "DataCardValue8" is the text box used for Application Name. This patch function works like this. See the next image.

IMG_6186.jpg

Here you can see 2 new entries, gtesttt and newtest which i passed from Application Name text box(DataCardValue8).

The Real Issue : I still cannot get the new entries to show in the Combo box as the text was saved into the column but not into the choice options like this image : 

IMG_6187.jpg

Now i need a solution where i can patch the data right into this options so that it show up in the drop down.

Thanks and Regards.

6 REPLIES 6
Drrickryp
Super User
Super User

Thanks for the reply Drrickryp.

I have already referred to the same video earlier for achieving this. 

But in my case my , my column 'Application Name' expects "TABLE" type. The reason why I've used the Table syntax in my formula in the 2nd image.

AdityaDani_0-1659880363101.jpeg

and i dont have an issue with patching it. As you can see my 3rd image :

AdityaDani_2-1659880437166.jpeg

my data is getting patched but i dont see it in the options.

i want to be able to select newly added records in the choice options.

hope I can get a fix for that.

Drrickryp
Super User
Super User

@AdityaDani 

I came up with a solution but it is a work around.  One problem is that the SharePoint list is patched but it doesn't update the combobox immediately as per your requirement. This work around does.  In the screenshot, my list is called Sales5000 and the choice column is Status. The new item for the column is in the textinput box. It demonstrated the result of running the patch.  On Order was added to the choices in the combobox.  You may want to check how it works in your app.  There are things I don't understand about how it works in updating the choice column inside SharePoint. !1.jpg

AdityaDani
Helper I
Helper I

@RandyHayes 

Hi randy can you please look at this? 

RandyHayes
Super User
Super User

@AdityaDani 

So my first question would be - why are you patching?  This appears to all be in a form.  You should be using the form to submit the information, not a patch.

Don't you want that the user type in the new value and then when they submit, it becomes submitted with that record?

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Digging it? - Click on the Thumbs Up below. Solved your problem? - Click on Accept as Solution below. Others seeking the same answers will be happy you did.
NOTE: My normal response times will be Mon to Fri from 1 PM to 10 PM UTC (and lots of other times too!)
Check out my PowerApps Videos too! And, follow me on Twitter @RandyHayes

Really want to show your appreciation? Buy Me A Cup Of Coffee!

Sorry for the late response. 

The DataSource for my Form is : 'AppList'

So, when I submit using the Submit() function it saves the data to 'AppList'.

As you can see the below Image, I have a Combo box - CAS Dependency Apps in the form highlighted by the arrow. DataSource for this Combobox is a different SharePoint List = "App_Name_List".

So, the user is able to select the data from that list and when i Submit it gets saved into 'AppList'.

AdityaDani_0-1660750414760.jpeg

Now coming to my actual requirement : 

I want to save whatever Text user enters in Application Name Text Box to be available for the user to select from the combo box dropdown.

So, to achieve this I am using a Patch function for the OnSelect property of the save button like this : 

AdityaDani_1-1660750777066.jpeg

The name of my form is "Add/EditForm",  which I am using inside the submit() function.

"App_Name_List" is the Data Source for the CAS Dependency Combo Box , and "DataCardValue8" is the text box used for Application Name.

The data is getting patched into the column, but not as an Option, Since the column is a multi select choice type column in SharePoint , the patched data should be available to the user as an option to select from.

Rather it only saves the data on the column but not as an option for the Choice column. Like this :

AdityaDani_2-1660751227830.jpeg

Here you can see 2 new entries, gtesttt and newtest which I patched from Application Name text box(DataCardValue8) earlier from the OnSelect .

But still I cannot see those entries inside the Choices.

AdityaDani_3-1660751320814.jpeg

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (3,469)