cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
___Pool___
Frequent Visitor

Patch error handling key conflict

Is there a way to catch a key conflict error rised by dataverse in order to present a user friendly error to the user instead of the long technical generic message of key conflicts?

I have an entity E on Dataverse with a key constraint composed by 2 fields A,B. Currently when I patch a record in E if dataverse incurs in a key conflict it raises an excelption causing a long technical message to be prompted to the user.

I would like to catch this error in order to prompt a more user friendly message to our user.

With this in mind I wrote the following snippet of code:

Patch(E,myRecord,{A:"myValueA",B:"myValueB"});
If(
     IsEmpty(
        Errors(
           E,
           myRecord
       ),//doStuff

Notify("My User friendly message",Error)
)

how can I handle the exception rised by the Patch formula in order to grab the message and substitute it with a more user friendly message?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
___Pool___
Frequent Visitor

I implemented a workaround: for not incurring in the key conflict error I am fatching the record before patching it

UpdateContext(
{
      recordAlreadyExists: CountIf(
          E,
     A=myrecord.A && B=myRecrod.B
) = 0
}
);

then I am patching the update just in case the variable recordAlreadyExists is false.

Let me know if you can find another way to accomplish this

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
___Pool___
Frequent Visitor

I implemented a workaround: for not incurring in the key conflict error I am fatching the record before patching it

UpdateContext(
{
      recordAlreadyExists: CountIf(
          E,
     A=myrecord.A && B=myRecrod.B
) = 0
}
);

then I am patching the update just in case the variable recordAlreadyExists is false.

Let me know if you can find another way to accomplish this

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

365 EduCon 768x460.png

Microsoft 365 EduCon

Join us for two optional days of workshops and a 3-day conference, you can choose from over 130 sessions in multiple tracks and 25 workshops.

Users online (2,948)