cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JmeBrey
Frequent Visitor

Patch to PowerBI from PowerApps

Hello,

In my mind it seems quite this sounds simple but I'm having trouble with understanding how I can get it to work.

1. Create a PowerApp with some basic fields to capture data
  2. A user comes into the PowerApp and fills in the fields and hits submit
  3. On submit the data is captured and sent to a Power BI Table that has been set up for reporting.

All I have found is the PowerApp visual integration in Power BI but I don't want users going into Power BI so I don't think it is of use.

Is this achievable?

Thank you

2 REPLIES 2
BCLS776
Super User
Super User

Yes you can do this, but there's a subtle difference from what you've described:

Power BI simply reads the same data source(s) that you have accessed and edited with your app. They aren't a special data type for Power BI - they are a Sharepoint List, Excel file, or any other supported data source.

Also, keep in mind Power BI does not continuously scan data sources for changes unless you have the licencing and have enabled this. With a per user Power BI Pro licence, you can set up a schedule of data refreshes, up to a maximum of number per day (8 if I remember right). Therefore, depending on that schedule, your user's new/edited entry may not be reflected in a Power BI dashboard for a while.

Does that help?

_________________________________________________________________________________________
Help the community help more users by choosing to "Accept as Solution" if this post met your needs. If you liked the post and want to show some appreciation, please give it a Thumbs Up.
rubin_boer
Super User
Super User

hi @JmeBrey in a sense you have answered yourself ;). Once you have created your power bi dashboard and its available in the workspace, a user which have access to the Power Bi service will be able to view the data in the tile, no need to login as they will be already logged in via the power app.

id the power bi service licensing is an issue you best look at a separate way to visualize the data.

which visuals were you thinking? 

hope this helps

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (1,779)