Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
R3dKap
Super User
Super User

Patching a PROD app from an updated DEV app

Hi all,

Here is my use case:

• On a DEVELOPMENT environment I have a solution which contains a canvas app and other artefacts
  • A few weeks ago I deployed this solution as a managed solution on a PRODUCTION environment
  • Since then I made many new improvements to the canvas app on the DEVELOPMENT environment without deploying it on PRODUCTION
  • Unfortunately, today a bug was identified in the app on the PRODUCTION environment
  • I would like to fix ONLY the bug on the PROD environment without touching anything else in the app

What would be the best practice to make a "hot fix" to the app on the DEV environment (in its PROD version) and deploy it on the PROD environment without transporting the newest app improvements (which will be deployed on PROD in the coming weeks)?

2 REPLIES 2
Feiteira
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi there @R3dKap

I actually did just that earlier today. Don't know if it is the "best practice" but it sure worked.

Having saved all the improvements, you can just go to the Power App versions list and:

1. Select the same version that you have right now in the PRODUCTION env.
  2. Publish that version
  3. Solve the bug
  4. Publish the PowerApp
  5. Deploy it to PRD.

Be aware to write down what is your "DEV" version so that you can publish it again after you deploy your solution to PRODUCTION, and of course, don't forget to solve the bug as well in the "DEV version".

Don't forget to click "Accept as answer" if this reply pleases you 😉

Hi @Feiteira,

Thanks for your reply... Yes I thought of that solution but I didn't find it very elegant. Furthermore, I have other artefacts in my solution which I don't want to deploy in their new version on PROD. So I thought of creating a new solution with just the canvas app, restore the app to the PROD version, fix the bug, export the solution and deploy it to PROD. But then I would have two solutions on PROD for the same canvas app... Not ideal...

I was thinking of using the patch procedure (https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-platform/alm/create-patches-simplify-solution-updates) but this sentence is not very reassuring:

R3dKap_0-1664915569956.png

So I'm waiting for anyone who has experienced it or has another solution... 🙂

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Apps News & Annoucements carousel

Power Apps News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Apps community.

Community Call Conversations

Introducing the Community Calls Conversations

A great place where you can stay up to date with community calls and interact with the speakers.

Power Apps Community Blog Carousel

Power Apps Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,510)