cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Delid4ve
Level 10

Pen Input

Is it me or is the PenInput completely useless?

Is there no way at all to patch this image to any location? Just seems a pointless feature.

Im looking to capture signatures but can see no way to save the image..

No way to get the Base 64 code...

No way to even look at the image if it has been cleared as it only gives a blob whilst it is visible.

7 REPLIES 7
cbelmans
Level: Powered On

Re: Pen Input

Hi Delid4ve, All

I don’t think PenInput is completely useless!

You’re not the first to ask for a sulution ‘Signatures and PenInput’ I think.

What I use it for is collecting signatures ( using the PenInput control on Tablets ) and store them in a CDS Entity.

How I’m doing this, just the principle!, quick and dirty:

- Create an Entity in CDS, say ‘Signatures’, with two fields:    1) LABEL  (type: Text)        2) Signature, (type: Image)

- Create an App. For this example I use Phone Layout on CDS, select the just created Entity: Signatures

- When the App is created, click F5 ( or preview triangle ), then the + sign ( to add an item ), click F5

- You should see EditScreen1; select EditScreen1 in the left pane

- Select DataCard SIGNATURE_DataCard2, then:

1) !! Unlock SIGNATURE_DataCard2 (right panel)

2) Remove all Controls in SIGNATURE_DataCard2 ( StarVisible2, …,Image2), except DataCardKey4 (yellow triangle appears: just ignore for now)

3) Select  SIGNATURE_DataCard2agein and Add a PenInput-control inside SIGNATURE_DataCard2: PenInput1

4) Change the ‘Update’-field of SIGNATURE_DataCard2 to:  PenInput1.Image (yellow triangle disappears)

5) Make PenInput1 a bit larger

PA1.jpg

5) Navigate to BrowseScreen1 (click in left panel)

6) Click F5, then the + sign to add an item

7) Type something in the LABEL-field

😎 Draw something in the SIGNATURE-field

9) Save (top right)

10) If everything is OK, your first signature should be there.

pa2.jpg

Hopefully not too much errors in my explanation.

Chris

Delid4ve
Level 10

Thanks for the insight.  It helped me work out a method for my own data sources.

Ive had to do the following:

1: Patch my sharepoint list with all the fields.

2: Patch an on Premesis SQL table with the ID of the sharepoint item, and the binary data from PenInput1.Image

3: Use Microsoft flow to create a file in sharepoint document library using the varbinary(MAX) field as the file content. (Crazy we have to do this step as if i just create the file from PenInput1.Image straight to sharepoint it just saves the blob)

The next step is actually using the signature...

I can create a document populated with all my fields (sharepoint document library).

I can also add the signature to the document properties using Image as URL field type.

But, im stuck on actually getting that into my document. (it shows as a link in the document properties, but how do i display the image.

dominik1

I have pretty much the same issue. Please let me know if you find a solution.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same issue here.

All the morning trying to get a way to store my PenInput images in a datasource such as Sharepoint or SQL. What I would really like is to get the image in base64 and send it to a webservice using a custom API.

Regards,

dominik1

I haven't found a solution yet.

May be someone else did?

Kind regards

AnthonyPhan
Level 8

Hi @Delid4ve

The youtube video below shows a method of exporting the pen input and saving the image to sharpoint using microsoft flow. 

I have used this method to extract the pen input(signature) and generate a pdf to archive approvals. Hope this helps. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp-8B1fLrqs

antonyS

@cbelmans wrote:

Hi Delid4ve, All

I don’t think PenInput is completely useless!

You’re not the first to ask for a sulution ‘Signatures and PenInput’ I think.

What I use it for is collecting signatures ( using the PenInput control on Tablets ) and store them in a CDS Entity.

How I’m doing this, just the principle!, quick and dirty:

- Create an Entity in CDS, say ‘Signatures’, with two fields:    1) LABEL  (type: Text)        2) Signature, (type: Image)

- Create an App. For this example I use Phone Layout on CDS, select the just created Entity: Signatures

- When the App is created, click F5 ( or preview triangle ), then the + sign ( to add an item ), click F5

- You should see EditScreen1; select EditScreen1 in the left pane

- Select DataCard SIGNATURE_DataCard2, then:

1) !! Unlock SIGNATURE_DataCard2 (right panel)

2) Remove all Controls in SIGNATURE_DataCard2 ( StarVisible2, …,Image2), except DataCardKey4 (yellow triangle appears: just ignore for now)

3) Select  SIGNATURE_DataCard2agein and Add a PenInput-control inside SIGNATURE_DataCard2: PenInput1

4) Change the ‘Update’-field of SIGNATURE_DataCard2 to:  PenInput1.Image (yellow triangle disappears)

5) Make PenInput1 a bit larger

PA1.jpg

5) Navigate to BrowseScreen1 (click in left panel)

6) Click F5, then the + sign to add an item

7) Type something in the LABEL-field

😎 Draw something in the SIGNATURE-field

9) Save (top right)

10) If everything is OK, your first signature should be there.

pa2.jpg

Hopefully not too much errors in my explanation.

Chris

@cbelmans I did everything the exact same way of your example, but on my gallery, I'm getting black images (pure black) instead of my signatures. What went wrong here

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

New Badges

Check it out!

thirdimage

Power Apps Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Power Platform 2019 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (6,088)