cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Regular Visitor

People and group filter not working

Hi, I'm very new to PowerApps, so forgive the probably obvious question.

I've create an app that submits a form into a SharePoint list I've created.

I used the Edit Form insert and connected it to the SharePoint list and the ability to submit all the fields, at least for me as the creator, work fine. I'm using the pre generated combo box for People, and one for Groups (both setup in sharepoint column list accordingly) and when I type a name I get a filtered search drop down on all Office365 users/departments. For other users though, when they start to type in the People or department boxes, nothing happens.

The formula in the combo box is Choices('Marketing Service Requests'.Name)

The App itself is shared with all org users, although the sharepoint list it submits to is private to our department, could this be the reason why? 

A review of other posts suggests people using formulas like ComboBox1.Items = Office365Users.SearchUser({searchTerm: ComboBox1.SearchText}) but I'm concerned that won't then submit to Sharepoint if the sharepoint list isn't mentioned in the forumula. 

Any suggestions? Smiley Frustrated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jamesround86,

Could you please share a screenshot of your app's configuration?

Do you want the other users within your Organization to use the SP list tlhat you created? Do the other users have enough permission to access your SP list?

Further, do you share the SP list data source within your app to the other users?

I agree with @RusselThomas's thought almost, if you want the other users to use SP list data source within your app, you must share the SP list data source within your app to the other users within your Organization, and the other users should have enough permission to access the SP list that you created.

More details about sharing app resources within PowerApps, please check the following article:

Share resources within PowerApps

In addition, you could also take a try with the following workaround to fix your issue:3.JPG

• Add a Office365Users connector as a data source within your app.
  • Within the Edit form, unlock the Data card control which contains the Person type column (decorated as Combo box control) that the issue is related to.
  • Set the Items property of the Combo box control to following formula:
Office365Users.SearchUser({searchTerm:DataCardValue4.SearchText})

Note: The DataCardValue4 represents the Combo box control that mentioned above.

Set SearchFields property of the Combo box control to following formula:

["DisplayName","Department"]

The GIF image as below:Test1.gif

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi jamesround86,

First port of call would be to ensure everyone you've shared the app with has the access they need to your data source - sharing the app does not give people access to the data the app uses. 

Every connector you use will be run in their user context, meaning the sharepoint connector to your data will be using their user credentials. So yes, you have to give them access to the list if you want them to use the bits of your app that use that data.

With that sorted, see if it's solved the problem - if not, post back here to this thread and we can take it from there.

Kind regards,

RT

Thank you very much for the speedy reply. 

I'll try and see if this is possible. If there are issues around granting access to the list, as ideally we don't need others to see it, if there a way of allowing  user or group search fields that would then submit to the list with the other form details as intended? Or is it simply a case of it having to be a free text field?

Many thanks

James

Hi James,

I'm not sure about that last bit - I haven't played around with granular list permissions that much, but you do have list options to allow people to only see or edit data they've submitted. 

If you only want them to see certain columns the best method I've come across is to put your secure data in one list and use lookup columns to it from your 'open' list.  That way, anyone viewing the first list would also need permissions on the second list to see secure data.  I haven't implemented this approach though, so I'm not sure what the experience in PowerApps looks like and I'm not sure it meets your requirement.

That said, I've generally found it more advisable to move into something like SQL when you need more granular security on data, (or you just want to be sure users can't get to the source data by any means other than your app).  

Hope this helps,

RT

Hi Russel,

Thanks again for your reply, that's a back up option to try perhaps. In the meantime, we've amended the permissions for the list as you suggested - see below (we did also try 'Edit' as well as contribute).

The effect seemed to be the same, it still wouldn't allow another user to use the drop downs for People or People/Groups. 

Interestingly, I gave another user permissions to edit my app, and they actually get an error symbol against the two fields in question, clicking the error didn't actual produce an error message or code though, it just brought them to the formula box for the drop down Item which was as per my first message.

Any last ditch ideas? 

Thanks very much.

James

Was that a screenshot you posted?  I'm just seeing a little black square with a cross in it 🙂

Can you create a teamspace or group and invite someone to it - then create a single column list with person/group and link it to an app to see if they can use the control?

Kind regards,

RT

It was meant to be, it was just the list permissions 

I'll give that a try and report back!

Thank you

Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jamesround86,

Could you please share a screenshot of your app's configuration?

Do you want the other users within your Organization to use the SP list tlhat you created? Do the other users have enough permission to access your SP list?

Further, do you share the SP list data source within your app to the other users?

I agree with @RusselThomas's thought almost, if you want the other users to use SP list data source within your app, you must share the SP list data source within your app to the other users within your Organization, and the other users should have enough permission to access the SP list that you created.

More details about sharing app resources within PowerApps, please check the following article:

Share resources within PowerApps

In addition, you could also take a try with the following workaround to fix your issue:3.JPG

• Add a Office365Users connector as a data source within your app.
  • Within the Edit form, unlock the Data card control which contains the Person type column (decorated as Combo box control) that the issue is related to.
  • Set the Items property of the Combo box control to following formula:
Office365Users.SearchUser({searchTerm:DataCardValue4.SearchText})

Note: The DataCardValue4 represents the Combo box control that mentioned above.

Set SearchFields property of the Combo box control to following formula:

["DisplayName","Department"]

The GIF image as below:Test1.gif

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Hi Kris, thank you,

Using the O365 workaround has allowed the drop downs to work, so I'll mark that as a solution.

Having other issues getting the form to submit those fields now, but I've posted seperately about that as I don't believe they are connected!

Many thanks both for your assistance.

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Badges

New Solution Badges!

Check out our new profile badges recognizing authored solutions!

New Power Super Users

Congratulations!

We are excited to announce the Power Apps Super Users!

Power Apps Community Call

Power Apps Community Call: February

Did you miss the call? Check out the Power Apps Community Call here.

Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (71,234)